cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generic CF flash memory for SUP 720

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Hello. I bought Kingstone 512MB CF memory, because it was over 50 times cheaper than the same module from Cisco. The module works flawlessly in 2821 and 2851 ISRs. But when I plug it into SUP 720, it is not even detected.

I have tried variety of things, but nothing worked - SUP acts as if no memory was present.

Does anyone have any experience with generic CF in SUPs? Is SUP "locked" for CISCO-ONLY CF flash cards?

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If its a production network I will always recommed never to try 3rd party flash card into sup and as a matter of fact on any device.

Many issues where noticed where sups have crashed and reloaded due to 3rd party flash card and Cisco never recommeds and support it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_warranties_item09186a00800b5594.html

HTH

Ankur

*PLs rate helpfull post

While i would completely agree with you if it was for system component used during an operation of the device, the memory in question is used almost exclusively only during boot to read operating system and eventually other system files and load them into volatile memory.

The only possible malfunction can therefore occur during booting, which I can live with.

Business case for 10x SUP720 was created with relative ease, but I just cannot create acceptable business case for such overpriced CF Memory. For every CF card I'd buy, I can get Catalyst 2960. If I'm am not able to buy working CF memory for reasonable price around the real value, I'd be forced to create workaround boot procedures using TFTP servers.

Tried to save some money and buy SanDisk flash 512MB for our 720's, but received error messages when I tried to copy IOS to the flash. Seems like it was a CPU hog message or something. Ended up buying Cisco flash anyway, and have seen no problems. I guess you get what you pay for

If you get non OEM flash you would still have to format the disk as long as it is recognized in the drive . I know what you are saying about price specially when the CF that they use is made by San Disk . We used one out of a camera to boot a cisco device in a emergency situation and once the card was formatted it worked fine . Seeing that a 1 gig san disk in the stores costs maybe $50 and cisco probably wants at least $800 its is hard to justify . I would wouldn't use non cisco internal flash or memory but an external CF flash is pretty safe I would think . Also for a 720 it would have to be a CF type II card for it to work . A litte info below .

upervisor 720

512MB default, upgradeable to 1GB

2MB

64MB

Compact Flash type II 64/128/256MB, hardware supports 512MB and 1GB

Supervisor 720-3B

512MB default, upgradeable to 1GB

2MB

64MB

Supervisor 720-3BXL

1GB default

2MB

64MB

Supervisor 32

256MB default, upgradeable to 512MB or 1GB

2MB

256MB

Thanks for the information. Should have asked before buying CF. Oh well, i'll use those in 7206, or somewhere where they work (like ISR).

I'm going to order some San Disk ones and see how they do.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card