Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding / removing access lists

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to amend an access list on a 2811 router. Would adding one line into the access list negaite the rest of the list or do I copy/paste the entire list?

2 Replies 2

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Adding a ACL would add up in your present ACL and would not overwrite it.

If you are going to add a deny statement , make sure it is present before the " permit ip any any " statement .The present IOS supports numbered ACL where you can insert a ACL or Delete a ACL in between.

Hope this helps

regards

vanesh k

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

When you add an access-list which no. is already in the router, the newer ACL will be placed at the bottom, i.e.lowest order.

Therefore, if you want to change the middle of the specify ACL, I suggest to copy the whole specify ACL (w/ no.) to your PC (e.g. notepad), edit it, delete the specify ACL you in the router then paste the whole new one.

I mean not the whole and only the specify ACL,e.g. if there are 20 lines of ACL 10 then copy these 20 lines in ACL 10 then edit it in the PC, remove the ACL 10 ONLY in router then paste from the notepad to the router.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card