LMS 2.6 and SMTP Services

Unanswered Question
Jan 8th, 2007
User Badges:

Hey guys,

I am working with LMS 2.6, i have my SMTP server pointed to a local SMTP server here at my office, but i do not seem to be able to get any email notifications. Couple of questions.

1. Can i point to localhost and does LMS2.6 Have local SMTP services?

2. If i keep it the way it is (pointed at a corporate SMTP server), what can i look at in terms of logs for figuring out why it isn't working...the jobs i run that i tell to email me complete with success! no failures shown, but still no emails.

Please help,

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Mon, 01/08/2007 - 11:16
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

1. You can use localhost if you have a working SMTP server on the CiscoWorks server. Solaris runs sendmail by default, but this server needs to be able to relay mail.

2. You can check the job logs for failures related to email. A sniffer trace may also be useful to see if there is a breakdown in the SMTP communication dialog with the server.

brooks-el Mon, 01/08/2007 - 11:20
User Badges:

Thats the thing, i don't get an error...in the job log i see nothing but success....only i don't get the email.

I also made sure that my server IP address was included in the "allowed relay stations" in exchange..

if i change the SMTP server address in the configuration, do i need to restart the services?

Joe Clarke Mon, 01/08/2007 - 11:29
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

You do not need to restart, but it may be a good idea to get a sniffer trace, and check your Exchange logs. There were some older bugs in LMS 2.5 where we did not work well with Exchange, but all known issues should be resolved in 2.6.

If the sniffer trace shows a successful SMTP dialog with the server, then Exchange is not doing its part. Or perhaps the message is being put in a spam folder in your MUA.

brooks-el Mon, 01/08/2007 - 13:30
User Badges:

Strange, even if i install a local SMTP service like sendmail, i still can't get the application to send out an email...but, if i install thunderbird on the CW server and send an email using the exchange server local here at my work, it sends emails no problems...so relay is working...but it does not work from LMS.

Joe Clarke Mon, 01/08/2007 - 14:01
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Check the sniffer trace, and make sure LMS is actually trying to send the email.

brooks-el Thu, 01/11/2007 - 07:44
User Badges:

It does not seem to be generating SNMP messages...what should i do to find out WHY the application isn't sending messages. I can install a mail client on the server and send email, but i can't get mail sent from LMS.

Joe Clarke Thu, 01/11/2007 - 08:43
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

It depends on what feature of LMS you are using. For example, if you are trying to get emails when a config job runs, you should enable RME ConfigJob debugging, then check the job log to see what errors may be there. For config sync jobs, this log can be found in /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/jobs/ArchiveMgmt on Solaris and NMSROOT\files\rme\jobs\ArchiveMgmt on Windows.

Actions

This Discussion