logging out user sessions

Unanswered Question
Joe Clarke Thu, 01/11/2007 - 09:58
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

The only way to log users out is to restart Tomcat. Of course, this effectively means you need to restart all of LMS. However, idle user sessions will be automatically logged out after two hours. At that point, those sessions will no longer be using resources within Tomcat.

Joe Clarke Thu, 01/11/2007 - 14:17
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

I have not seen any cases where an idle session is not expired after two hours. However, sometimes, stale sessions are still displayed in the list of logged on users. There was a bug in Common Services before 3.0.4 where offline users were still shown as logged in. In 3.0.4 and higher, these should no longer show, but there have been issues where a user will show up as logged in with a bogus date. Those can be ignored as not being active users.

Joe Clarke Fri, 01/12/2007 - 11:48
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This can be a hard thing to track down. If you do open a TAC SR, it would be helpful to have details as to what clients and browsers are being used, and how those sessions are terminated. That is, do the users select "Logout" or do they simply shutdown their machine or close their browser?

I typically use Mozilla when accessing LMS, and I have not seen a problem with my session not timing out.

Note: you may see a lot of sessions for your system identity user (e.g. admin). This is expected as this user is used for internal process communication.

Joe,

Thanks. Yes. My user id as admin seems to appear up to 7 or times. I checked it overnight and I'm still there seven times. If I don't "logout" and just close the browser, it should log-off those session automatically after two hours, right?

I would say more often that not I just close the browswer and do not "logout". So this may be causing the issue. I just want to make sure that hung up sessions like this won't crash the system or cause any issues.

I'm using IE btw. Plan is to reboot next week and get a clean slate to work with. I do have 2 nightly reporting jobs scheduled to run and that might be why those sessions are there if they run under my user id.

Best regards,

Tom

Joe Clarke Sun, 01/14/2007 - 23:51
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Those sessions should be timed out, but only active sessions really take a toll on system resources. Yes, each session active or otherwise will consume some of Tomcat's memory, but not enough to cause problems. Of course, thousands of idle sessions would be a bad thing.

Actions

This Discussion