Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NMD-36-ESW configured as L3 routing ports

Hi Everyone,

I have a Cisco 3845, and recently installed an NMD-36-ESW-2GIG, in order to get the additional 2 1000bT ethernet ports. I went this route, because the cost was cheaper than getting two SFP HWICS + GigE SFP gbics.

Anyway, I'd like to know how to use the ports on the NMD blade as L3 routing ports. Whenever I try to set an IP address on the interfces, the IOS complains that I can't have an IP address on an L2 interface (fair enough...).

The only other way I can work out to do this is create a VLAN interface in the router, and attach the port to the VLAN. It's doable, but messy.

All of the ports on the NMD blade look like standard ports within the IOS configuration, which makes me think that I need to enter in a command to enable L3 on the blade, and then configure the ports in the usual manner.

The additional ports on the NMD blade will end up being used to hang some servers off at some point in the future.

Thanks,

- Rebecca

3 Replies 3

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, Rebecca

You can try "no switchport" under the interface configuration mode. This command work for NM-16ESW on 3640 platform.I think it should work for your new model too.

Hope this help

SSLIN

I mean "new module" not "new model". Sorry for the mess-up.

Cheers

SSLIN

Yup, that did the trick nicely!

I thought there was a simple command to get it out of switching mode.

Cheers!

- bec

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card