Views
Helpful
Replies

CS MARS source ip 0.0.0.0

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

CS MARS reports with a source ip address of 0.0.0.0 and port number 0. What does this mean?

Thank you in advance!

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can always click on event type which will give you a popup window with description of event.

Cisco MARS detected an inactive reporting device that has not reported any event to MARS in the last hour. This may indicate that the device is not functioning properly.

View solution in original post

Click on the Incident ID, something like I:########, this will give you the individual sessions which created the incident. Note the destination IP address. You can also hit the icon for "raw messages" under the "reporting device" column.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

From what I can tell, it displays 0.0.0.0 because the event was not triggered by the inspection of a packet with source and destination address or the source/destination cannot be derived from the logged message. For example, the event "inactive reporting device" from Mars does not have a source address and therefore displays 0.0.0.0.

Is this correct?

yeah your right, I received this alert with the event type - "inactive CS-MARS reporting device".

Can you explain further regarding this event type. Its not very clear with me.

Thank you very much for your fast response!

You can always click on event type which will give you a popup window with description of event.

Cisco MARS detected an inactive reporting device that has not reported any event to MARS in the last hour. This may indicate that the device is not functioning properly.

By simply clicking the event type I cannot determine which device/s is/are not functioning properly, then how will you know?

By selecting also the path information icon under the PATH column it's not stated there what device/s is/are down or not functioning properly.

Click on the Incident ID, something like I:########, this will give you the individual sessions which created the incident. Note the destination IP address. You can also hit the icon for "raw messages" under the "reporting device" column.

thank you buddy.. i saw the device that was not reporting.. i saw it under RAW MESSAGE.

Also, you will not see the PATH when the source/destination is 0.0.0.0 like we talked about above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: