cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy IOS from one switch to another

mgottfried
Level 1
Level 1

I have a major delima on my hands. I am trying to update the IOS on a bunch of 6509E's at a remote site. The problem is that I am having a great deal of difficulty getting the image loaded using tftp across the WAN. The session keeps timing out. I was able to get one switch updated but have really struggled since then. The question is, can I copy the IOS from the one I succeeded with to others at that site? That would eliminate the time out problem. If so, how do I set that up?

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which IOS version you are running on the switch.

With proper IOS version on 6500,you can certailny do that. Please find the link below for the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca553.html#14748

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Place the image onto a flash card and move the card from switch to switch copying it to them one by one....Good Luck...

You could copy the IOS image to a server and use xmodem from a hyperterminal session over a console session.

This can be quite slow though!

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Set up the working 6500 with the image you want to use as a tftp server and then just copy it as you would from any other tftp server . Use the copy tftp command to copy it to the other boxes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card