Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping latency

mrmozaffari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends

Can someone tell me why i dont see the latency on my customer ping when i limit the customer bandwidth with traffic-shape or policing ,the problem is the customer exactly uses the bandwidth at the rate which i limited i mean i limited the bandwidth to 2Mb and customer uses 2Mb but from customer site when issue a ping to internet the time is normal and it has not any latency !!!!

Also my customer wants to see the latency in its traffic when using the bandwidth at full rate what s the solution ?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Delays won't increase untill the link gets congested. Therefore, as long as the traffic flow is below 2Mbps the ping round trip delay should be approx the same.

Issue the command "show service-policy interface s0/0" for example and you will see if the policy is matching traffic and if there are any dropped packets. THis would help you in troubleshooting the problem,

Hope this helps and appreciate your rating,

I have a similar problem. Just got a new T3 in. Ping round-trip is the same both ways. However, we tested sending a 128 MB file. In one direction, it takes 33 seconds. However, in the opposite direction, it takes almost 3 minutes. We've checked clocking, enabled IPCF and engaged the provider who claims there is nothing wrong with the circuit. We've set up a laptop on both ends, hanging it off the GIG ethernet port of the router and still stumped. Routers on both ends are 3825's Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M). Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

Any IPSEC or GRE tunnel? Check the MTU size from both sides. Try to set the mtu to 1425 from both sides and test the performance again.

E.G

int e0/0

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

Let me know how it goes,

Regards,

Tried that. Further testing shows possible problems with a repeater. We will test without it next. Any advise in this area would be appreciated. We are using a pair of ADC DS3/STS-1 repeaters. One at the demarc and the other 37 floors up (450ft) at the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card