Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping latency

mrmozaffari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends

Can someone tell me why i dont see the latency on my customer ping when i limit the customer bandwidth with traffic-shape or policing ,the problem is the customer exactly uses the bandwidth at the rate which i limited i mean i limited the bandwidth to 2Mb and customer uses 2Mb but from customer site when issue a ping to internet the time is normal and it has not any latency !!!!

Also my customer wants to see the latency in its traffic when using the bandwidth at full rate what s the solution ?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you paste the config which you are using out there and also the output of show interface ?

regds

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Could you please clarify on what do you mean by latency? I know that when you use ping, the roundtrip time from the source to the destination then back to the source is displayed. I'm not so familiar on how traffic is prioritized over a link but I know that every applications uses different ports. Another is PING packet is very small as compared to other applications thus when you do a PING to the internet, not only it creates its own path but the packet is so negligible that often its not affected by rate limiting unless of course you block ICMP using access list or firewall.

To verify latency, (aside from using equipment that is capable of testing the latency) issue PING with packet length adjusted to a higher value "ping -l". Though not so reliable, this might show you some difference. Another thing is to use different applications like ftp or tftp. You can also try netCPS.exe (a packet transfer application).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco