cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to decrypt username's password on the router?

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Just would like to know what tool I can use to decrypt the username which use for the console vty login as the previous admin left without the password.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Friend,

There are lot of tools available on the net to crack the password of the cisco router.

One thing to remember though is you will be able to crack only the level 7 encrypted password and the enable secret.

With the VTY password you will be able to get into the user mode but if you dont remeber the enable secret password you cant get into the privelege mode. Password recovery would be the only option in this case

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hello,

Besides the afore mentioned tools, which will ONLY decode the "encryption" indicated by 7 in the command, the best bet would be to perform a password recovery. The relevant procedures are described in "Password Recovery Procedures"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

You will need physical access to the router and it involves a reload, i.e. a network outage.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

Hi Sprem,

This is useful! :D thanks..

but i managed to decrypt level 7 only.

But i could not get through enable secret 5 ?

h0w can i do that?

Thanks again!

Hi Cindy

As mentioned by Naryan in his post you need to use password recovery procedure to reset the enable secret 5 password which is otherwise not possible with any kinda tools as of now..

regds

Hello,

the "5" indicates MD5 encryption, which - to my knowledge - can not be decrypted to date.

So password recovery is your only option.

Regards, Martin

Please find the lnik for Password recovery procedures on cisco devices

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/index.shtml

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

hi All - we need understand how CISCO strengthen their password, the enable password or password is just hash 7 kind which can be decrypted by any tools but if you use HASH 5 which is nothing but MD5, enable secrete which uses MD5 hash and there is no way you can decrypt. the only way is to follow the password recovery procedure for the respective devices

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco