- Cisco Employee,
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance on configuring ACS 5.x to take backup of its configuration data. It is highly recommended that you you backup the ACS 5.x configuration data in timely fashion in order to restore the same backup if ACS 5.x crashes, or, if you need to build a new system from scratch.
Types of Backup
There are 2 types of backups that you can create on ACS 5.x
1. One time backup - This will create a backup on the repository immediately. For a primary instance, you can back up the following:
[a] ACS configuration data only
[b] ACS configuration data and ADE-OS configuration data
For secondary instances, ACS only backs up the ADE-OS configuration data.
2. Scheduled backup - You can schedule backups to be run at periodic intervals. You can schedule backups from the primary web interface or through the local CLI. The Scheduled Backups feature backs up ACS configuration data.
The first step towards taking backup on the ACS 5.x is to create a repository that will specify the protocol and the location where the backup has to be stored. In case you already have a repository configured on the ACS 5.x then you can skip to the backup creation section.
Create a repository
Repositories are required to be configured on the ACS 5.x to export and import data. To create, duplicate, edit, or delete a software repository:
- Choose System Administration > Operations > Software Repositories. Click on Create to create a new repository.
- Complete the fields in the Software Repositories Properties Page. Following are the protocol choices that you have.
Create a one time backup
1. Choose System Administration > Operations > Distributed System Management.
2. From the Primary Instance table or the Secondary Instances table, select the instance that you want to back up and click Backup.
You can select only one primary instance, but many secondary instances for a backup.
3. Enter a filename prefix to which ACS appends the backup time stamp. Then click Select to open the Software Update and Backup Repositories dialog box, from which you can select the appropriate repository in which to store the backup file.
There are 2 backup options while taking the backup of the primary instance. Secondary only takes ADE-OS backup.
Create a scheduled backup
You can create a scheduled backup only for the primary instance. To create, duplicate, or edit a scheduled backup:
1. Choose System Administration > Operations > Scheduled Backups. Click Create.
2. Provide a Filename, Repository, and the schedule at which the backup should be taken. Avoid scheduling the backup at mid-night, as there are other scheduled jobs that are run at mid night by ACS 5.x automatically.