I am an apprentice in my company and I should design & implement a „simple” infrastructure for apprentices in our company to test out nearly everything they want. For this purpose, I have a room with some racks.
The requirement for the infrastructure is:
- Each bookable subnet should have access to the print- & file server.
- The subnets should not interfere with each other. For example when one is creating a domain controller, the other subnet/network should not be affected by this.
- Each subnet should have its own router. This is for learning purposes because, we can learn how to specify different settings (If this wouldn’t be the case, I’d use a level 3 switch
- Content filtering should be activated
- Optional: With each router and it’s subnet, a VPN connection could be implemented
I am thinking of using a Cisco ISR 892W as the main gateway/modem/router/firewall.
And for the sub routers I’d implement a Cisco RV 180 VPN router.
I have designed a quick network plan.
Now I have some questions for the realization of this project:
- Do I need to enable “1:1 NAT” and when yes, which impact does it have for the network?
- What do I need to configure that the subnets can communicate with the servers?
- Is it possible, that the « Administration PC » in the 192.168.0.0/24 network can access the subnet to remote administrating the servers (for example over RDP or another technology). When yes what do I have to configure? Static routes?
- When I am considering implementing a VPN connection for each sub router, is this possible? Are there some issues with NAT?
- Do you have any other tips for me?
I'm still learning the whole networking sphere and would be happy if you can help me out
Many, many thanks