Cisco Support Community
When channel management is enabled, the access point automatically assigns wireless radio channels used by clustered access points. The automatic channel assignment reduces interference with other access points outside of its cluster and maximizes Wi-Fi bandwidth to help maintain the efficiency of communication over the wireless network.
This document explains the cluster channel management of AP541N Access Points.
Note: This configuration can only be achieved if clusters have been enabled. Please refer to the article, Addition of AP541N Access Points to a Cluster for more information.
• AP541N Access Point
Automatic Assignment of Channels
Step 1. Log in to the Access Point Configuration Utility and choose Cluster > Channel Management. The Channel Management page opens:
By default, automatic re-assignment of channels is disabled. The Current Channel Assignments Table shows a list of all access points in the cluster by IP Address. It has these fields:
• IP Address — Displays the IP address of the assigned channel.
• Wireless Radio — Displays the MAC address of the assigned wireless radio channel.
• Band — Displays the band on which each AP is broadcasting (a/b/g/n).
• Channel — Indicates the wireless radio channel on which the access point is currently broadcasting.
Step 2. Click Start to enable automatic re-assignment of the channels. Once Start is clicked, the Channel Management page refreshes to display new settings.
• Current Channel Assignments — The Current Channel Assignments section shows a list of all access points in the cluster by IP Address. It has these fields.
– IP Address — Displays the IP address of the assigned wireless radio channel.
– Wireless Radio — Displays the MAC address of the assigned channel.
– Band — Displays the band on which each AP is broadcasting (a/b/g/n).
– Channel — Displays the current wireless radio channel used by each AP in the cluster.
– Locked — Check the Locked checkbox and click Apply to lock an AP on its current wireless radio channel so that it cannot be re-assigned to another.
• Proposed Channel Assignments — The Proposed Channel Assignments shows the last channel plan. The plan lists all access points in the cluster by IP Address.
– IP Address — Displays the IP address of the assigned channel.
– Wireless Radio — Displays the MAC address of the wireless radio channel.
– Channel — Indicates the wireless radio Channel to which this access point would be re-assigned if the Channel Plan is executed.
Step 3. From the Change channels if interference is reduced by at least drop-down list, choose a percentage that the interference must be reduced by for an access point to change channels.
Step 4. From the Determine if there is better set of channel settings every drop-down list, choose a time interval to schedule automated updates.
Step 5. Click Apply to save the settings.
Step 6. (Optional) To disable the automatic re-assignment of wireless radio channels, click Stop.