Cisco Support Community
The Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is a system which facilitates interconnection of wireless access points in an IEEE 802.11 network. Thus it allows expansion of a wireless network over multiple access points. This document explains how to configure the WDS settings on the WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router.
Step 1. Log in to the web configuration utility and choose Wireless > WDS. The WDS page opens.
Step 2. Check the Allow Wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater check box to enable the wireless signal to be repeated.
Step 3. Click Auto or Manual to setup the access point for WDS.
• Auto — The signal gets automatically repeated by a suitable access point.
• Manual — Allows you to manually enter the MAC addresses of the repeaters or choose from a list of repeaters.
Timesaver: If you chose Auto in Step 3 skip to Step 5.
Step 4. Either enter the MAC addresses of the access points directly into the MAC address fields or, if the other access points are on-line you can click the Site Survey button and choose from a list of available access points.
Note: There are three kinds of access points that can be used in the configuration:
• Main base station — Is connected to the Ethernet.
• Relay base station — Relays data between the remote base stations and the main base station, or within other relay base stations.
• Remote base station — Connects the wireless clients with the main or relay base stations to make a connection with the access point.
Step 5. Click Save to apply the configuration settings.