- Silver, 250 points or more
Episode Name: Episode 1 - What is an IPS?
Contributors: Blayne Dreier, Stijn Vanveerdeghem
Posting Date: August 25th, 2010
Description: In this episode, Cisco TAC engineers discuss the basic definition and history of the IPS product.
Episode Show Notes
- IPS stands for Intrusion Prevention System
- IDS stands for Intrusion Detection System
- IPS systems recognize malicious traffic via predefined patterns called signatures
- NIPS stands for Network Intrusion Prevention System
- HIPS stands for Host Intrusion Prevention System
- "Computer Security Threat Monitoring and Surveillance," James Anderson:
- "An Intrusion-Detection Model," Dr. Dorothy Denning: http://www.cs.georgetown.edu/~denning/infosec/ids-model.rtf
- Intrusion Detection at SRI International: http://www.csl.sri.com/programs/intrusion/
- Cisco Acquires WheelGroup: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/corp_021898.html
About the TAC IPS Media Series
The Cisco TAC IPS Media Series is created by Cisco TAC engineers. Each episode will concentrate on a particular feature of the IPS, with a portion dedicated to configuration and a portion dedicated to troubleshooting and debugging.