- Cisco Employee,
Most people configure small deployments of SPA phones using the phone's web-UI at http://<PhoneIP>/admin/advanced
You could also take advantage of the phone's excellent provisioning capabilities by having the phone retrieve its configuration from a file.
The SPC utility is purpose-built for each version of phone firmware. This means that you should download a new SPC utility when you download new phone firmware. The SPC is available for both Windows and Linux and can be located by following these instructions.
Here’s a summary of what needs to be done to configure a phone from a file:
1. Run the SPC tool in order to generate a template from which to extract the desired parameters:
C: \7.4.6>spa5x5g-sip-7-4-6-spc-win32-i386.exe --sample-xml spa50x-30x-7-4-6_sip_template.xml
2. Create an empty file for the phone, example: spa002414D36320U.xml
3. Copy the header and footer from the spa50x-30x-7-4-6_sip_template.xml template file to the new
spa002584D8CFF1.cfg file which is named for the phone's MAC address:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<flat-profile xmlns="http://www.sipura.net/xsd/SPA5X5G-SIP" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.sipura.net/xsd/SPA5X5G-SIP http://www.sipura.net/xsd/SPA5X5G-SIP/SPA5X5G-SIP-7-4-6.xsd">
4. Copy the desired parameters from the spa50x-30x-7-4-6_sip_template.xml template file to the new spa002584D8CFF1.xml file and insert them before the </flat-profile> tag. Example:
<Profile_Rule ua="na"> http://<PathToProvisioningServer/spa$MA.cfg</Profile_Rule>
1. "Asterisk: Zero-Touch Configuring": https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9954 Pages 9-12
This document is also relevant to non-Asterisk environments and will provide a reader with an understanding of what is needed.
2. "SPA Provisioning Guide": https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9894