FlexConnect is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. Prior to WLC Release 7.2, FlexConnect was referred as Hybrid REAP (HREAP). Now it is called FlexConnect.
FlexConnect feature enables customers to configure and control Access Points through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each branch office. The FlexConnect access points can switch client data traffic and perform client authentication locally when their connection to the controller is lost. When they are connected to the controller, they can also send traffic back to the controller. In the connected mode, the FlexConnect access point can also perform local authentication.
FlexConnect is supported on the Cisco Aironet 1130AG, 1140, 1240, 1250, 1260, AP801, AP802, AP3550, and Cisco Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Points on the Cisco WiSM, Cisco 5500, 4400, 2100, 2500, and Flex 7500 Series Controllers, the Catalyst 3750G Integrated Wireless LAN Controller Switch; the Controller Network Module for Integrated Services Routers.
Information About FlexConnect
FlexConnect (previously known as Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point or H-REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The FlexConnect access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when their connection to the controller is lost. When they are connected to the controller, they can also send traffic back to the controller. In the connected mode, the FlexConnect access point can also perform local authentication.
Figure shows a typical FlexConnect deployment.
Configuring the Wireless LAN Controller for FlexConnect (GUI)
- Choose WLANs from Controller web interface to open the WLANs page.
- From the drop-down list, select Create New option and click on Go to open the WLANs > New page.
- From Type drop-down list, choose WLANS.
- In the Profile Name text box, enter a unique profile name for the WLAN. In this example Profile Name is Flexcon.
- In the WLAN SSID Text box, enter a name for WLAN. In our example, SSID is FlexWIFI.
- From the WLAN ID drop-down list, choose the ID number for this WLAN. Here WLAN ID is 4.
- Click on Apply to save your changes.
- Once we apply the changes, Edit page appears. The controller can be configured for FlexConnect in both centrally switched and locally switched WLANs. In this example, lets configure the controller for FlexConnect in a locally switched WLAN.
- In the General tab, select the Status check box to enable the WLAN.10. In the Security > Layer 2 tab, select WPA+WPA2 from the Layer 2 Security drop-down list and then set the WPA+WPA2 parameters as required.
- We can verify the configuration of the FlexConnect in WLANS tab
Configuring an Access Point for FlexConnect (GUI)
- Select Wireless to open the All APs page. And click the name of the desired access point. In our example click on AP_3500E. The All APs >
- Select FlexConnect from the AP Mode drop-down list to enable FlexConnect for AP_3500E access point.
- Click Apply to save your changes and the AP will reboot
- After the reboot the AP will have Flexconnect Tab. Click on FlexConnect tab to open the All APs > Details for (FlexConnect) page. Note: If the access point belongs to a FlexConnect group, the name of the group appears in the FlexConnect Name text box.
- Click Apply to save the changes. The access point temporarily loses its connection to the controller while its Ethernet port is reset.
- Click the name of the same access point and then select the FlexConnect tab.
- Click VLAN Mappings to open the All APs > Access Point Name > VLAN Mappings page.
ID text box
- Click Apply to commit your changes.
- Click Save Configuration to save your changes
Verifying the client connectivity
Choose MONITOR > Clients or MONITOR > Summary to verify whether the clients are getting associated to the Flexconnect AP.