Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x on wired LAN

remco.gussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I implemented a wired 802.1x authenticated network. I only use machine (computer) certificates to authenticate the workstations. Automatic Certificate Enrollemnt is installed in the Windows 2003 domain. I was wondering what will happen after one year. Right than the certificate is not valif anymore. Auth-Fail VLAN or Guest-VLAN is a Internet-Only VLAN on the firewall.

When users power on their computer the next mornig, access will be rejected. Is it posible to do a automatic certificate renewal a few days before the validity of the certificate expires ?

Regards

Remco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scadora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your certificate template will have a "renewal period" (for example, 6 weeks). Then, 6 weeks (or whatever the renewal period is) before the certificate is supposed to expire, the workstation will automatically attempt to renew its certificate. As long as the workstation is connected to the domain and has access to the CA at some point during that period, it can update its certificate and hence will not fail authentication.

Hope that helps.

Shelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

scadora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your certificate template will have a "renewal period" (for example, 6 weeks). Then, 6 weeks (or whatever the renewal period is) before the certificate is supposed to expire, the workstation will automatically attempt to renew its certificate. As long as the workstation is connected to the domain and has access to the CA at some point during that period, it can update its certificate and hence will not fail authentication.

Hope that helps.

Shelly

Thanx Shelly...

I also saw that in the certificate template !

Problem solved !!

what happened when the user is outside the network for a very long time and not able to renew the cert before the expiry date?

Thene authentication will fail.. Certificate is expired.. You have to manually renew the certificate..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: