Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA features with TACACS+ for reverse telnet

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

Hello guys and girls!

We have an AccessServer ((Terminal Server) ( Cisco 2800 router)) , there is 10 more devices in our lab. We can reach all these devices via AccessServer, with reverse telnet configuration. (I'm talking about this connection).

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-137896-36787/450-368/oct_async.jpg

We are using tacacs.net ( www.tacacs.net ) server. Authentication is working. Is it possible to do accounting and authorization, not just on access server, but on other devices too?

For example to prohibit commands : erase flash/format/debug all  - on these devices?

Maybe anyone has accomplished these kind of configuration?

Any kind information is highly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

tariq.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

You could configure command authorization( normally all TACACS+ servers would support this) or you could assign privilege levels to commands & make it work. For Shel command authorization configuration, refer to this guide. For privilege level assignment, refer to this guide which also mentions supporting configuration for tacacs+ freeware servers (in addition to cisco acs server).

Hope this helps.

Ok. I have cisco ACS. Can somebody post exact configuration for reverse telnet ? Router configuration not the ACS or other TACACS/RADIUS server. How do you authorize reverse telnet connections?

With my configurations there is always an error ... "Authorization failed"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: