Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA using microsoft IAS

hzhxwb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance. Aplogies if I'm not following the correct procedure but I'm a newbie to CSC so feel free to let me know if I'm not posting my question properly. I'm a network admin for a medium sized company running a variety of Cisco devices. Currently all we have set up is local username password authentication on the devices.

I've been tasked with coming up with a AAA solution so that we can control who gets access to the devices, what level of access they get and logging ofwhat activities they performed. In the current climate we won't get the money to buy ACS or anything similar so my question is this.

Can Microsoft Internet Authentication Server (IAS) provide me with a decent AAA solution ?

All I really want to do is allow network admins full access to the devices (privelige 15) and help desk staff some cut down level of access (yet to be decided) with authenication occuring using Acive Directory.

From what I read the Authencation part isn't too difficult but I want to tie in the Authorization and Accounting into the solution.

Can anyone give me a starting point or benefit of their experience ?

Many thanks,

Tom

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

iilyinas
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Tom,

IAS can be used. There are number of threads on CSC forums about AAA on IAS.

But IMHO, if Cisco products are not an option because of money, better look to FreeRADIUS.

If your bosses are still considering the budget, you can try ACS evaluation version (full functionality, free) and if you'll like it - try to convince them to buy a normal one.

Also you can look at ACS Express - it should also suit your needs.

Cheers, Iron

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

View solution in original post

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tom,

Alot of customer do use IAS server. I have ppt in order to config IAS server. Please check if that could be helpful.

thanks,

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

iilyinas
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Tom,

IAS can be used. There are number of threads on CSC forums about AAA on IAS.

But IMHO, if Cisco products are not an option because of money, better look to FreeRADIUS.

If your bosses are still considering the budget, you can try ACS evaluation version (full functionality, free) and if you'll like it - try to convince them to buy a normal one.

Also you can look at ACS Express - it should also suit your needs.

Cheers, Iron

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tom,

Alot of customer do use IAS server. I have ppt in order to config IAS server. Please check if that could be helpful.

thanks,

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

Thanks Vinay. That helped steer me in the right direction.