Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 4.2 password change

ankurs2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts

We are running Cisco ACS 4.2 on Windows 2003 SP2 and would like to change the password policy . What is the best way to change the password policy ?

If the Password Validation options settings under System Configuration --> Local Password management is selected , is it applied globally to all the users ?

Please assist in letting me know the possibility of changing the Password Validation options ONLY for a particular group .

Ankur

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

edwjames
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ankur,

Yes, it applies to all users.

No, group based option is not present.

Regards

Ed

**Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality. --Dalai Lama** Please Rate if helpful. Regards Ed

View solution in original post

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

Ed answered you already. that applies to all users and it can not be configured per group.

what I noticed however that for the users already created they are not forced to change their password. so, after the configuration, old users that had weak passwords will be still able to use their passwords until they try to change password then the new password will need to follow the configured rules.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

edwjames
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ankur,

Yes, it applies to all users.

No, group based option is not present.

Regards

Ed

**Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality. --Dalai Lama** Please Rate if helpful. Regards Ed

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

Ed answered you already. that applies to all users and it can not be configured per group.

what I noticed however that for the users already created they are not forced to change their password. so, after the configuration, old users that had weak passwords will be still able to use their passwords until they try to change password then the new password will need to follow the configured rules.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi edwjames / Amjad

Thanks for the reply . I have few more questions

1) Does the new software ACS 5.X support the group wise option of changing the “Password validation options”  ?

2) Is there is any Cisco link mentioning that changing the password validation options will not impact the existing users ?

3) If we enable the “Password validation options” and encounter unforeseen issues , what would be the best way to revert back ? Does simply unchecking the options enabled previously will revertback to the original settings ensuring users are not effected ?

Regards,

Ankur