Replies

ACS 5.2 Licenses

josefribeiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need some help figuring out my licenses

Here's my situation:

- today we have one ACS 5.2 VM with the 500-device base license and we need to go past that threshold.

- we will be installing a second ACS 5.2 VM for redundancy, but that is still a few months away.

- we purchased new licenses: a new 500-device base license for the second ACS and the large deployment license that will allow both more than 500 devices.

- we received a single PAK file with both licenses: base and large deployment

- the second ACS implementation is still a few months away but I need to install the new large deployment license asap.

My questions are:

Can I deploy on the existing ACS only the large deployment portion of the PAK file I received and when the new ACS is implemented deploy the other half of the license file, with the base license only?

Can I install the new PAK license file with both base and large deployment licenses on the existing server and then remove the original base license so I can install it in the future when the new ACS is implemented?

I need to understand how to proceed.

Thanks for your help.

Jose Ribeiro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Ideally you want to install the large deployment license on your existing ACS and the other base license on the new ACS. When the new ACS joins the deployment with tthe large deployment license already installed it will pick up the large deployment license from the configuration database.

You said you received both licenses in a single PAK file. If try and install both on the existing ACS I think it will complain that a base license is already installed. Not sure if this would prevent the large deployment license from being installed.

Howver, if you look at the file, the two licenses should be separate components in the file each with their own separate data. It should be possible to duplicate the PAK file and then edit each of the copies so that they each only contain one of the licenses

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Ideally you want to install the large deployment license on your existing ACS and the other base license on the new ACS. When the new ACS joins the deployment with tthe large deployment license already installed it will pick up the large deployment license from the configuration database.

You said you received both licenses in a single PAK file. If try and install both on the existing ACS I think it will complain that a base license is already installed. Not sure if this would prevent the large deployment license from being installed.

Howver, if you look at the file, the two licenses should be separate components in the file each with their own separate data. It should be possible to duplicate the PAK file and then edit each of the copies so that they each only contain one of the licenses

Hi jrabinow,

Thanks for your help and suggestion. I did exactly what you suggested and it worked flawlessly. My existing ACS now has the original base license and the Large Deployment portion of the new PAK file I received.

Thanks again.

Jose Ribeiro

jonmarso_07
Level 1
Level 1

No need to remove the licenses, you should simply make an UPGRADE, but you can keep the license to install in the future when in operation.

The way to perform the upgrade license is:

System Administration> Server Base License