Views
Helpful
Replies

[ACS 5.2] Switch administration using SSH

Patrick Tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to use LDAP accounts to administrate switches.

It works fine when I use telnet.

I just need to push RADIUS attribute Login-Service (ID 15) with Telnet value (ID 0)

Now, I want to use SSH (for security reasons )

RADIUS have to push RADIUS attribute Login-Service (ID 15) with SSH value (ID 50)

(For example with Steel-belt RADIUS http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=4174801&prodTypeId=12883&objectID=c02602225 )

SSH value doesn't exist in RADIUS IETF dictionary for Login-Service attribute.

I can't create SSH value because this dictionary is protected...

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

camejia
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Patrick,

The ACS 5.x will not allow us to edit/remove/add Attribute Values to the RADIUS IETF dictionary as it is standard and reserved.

If you check the RADIUS RFC at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2865.txt under the Login-Service description the SSH service is not listed there:

5.15.  Login-Service

Value

The Value field is four octets.

0   Telnet
       1   Rlogin
       2   TCP Clear
       3   PortMaster (proprietary)
       4   LAT
       5   X25-PAD
       6   X25-T3POS
       8   TCP Clear Quiet (suppresses any NAS-generated connect string)

The Access Control System 5.x will not allow us to modify such dictionaries as RADIUS IETF in order to comply with the documented standards.

The best approach at this point would be to contact the switches vendor in order to determine how to enable SSH on those devices.

Hope this helps. Regards.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

camejia
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Patrick,

The ACS 5.x will not allow us to edit/remove/add Attribute Values to the RADIUS IETF dictionary as it is standard and reserved.

If you check the RADIUS RFC at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2865.txt under the Login-Service description the SSH service is not listed there:

5.15.  Login-Service

Value

The Value field is four octets.

0   Telnet
       1   Rlogin
       2   TCP Clear
       3   PortMaster (proprietary)
       4   LAT
       5   X25-PAD
       6   X25-T3POS
       8   TCP Clear Quiet (suppresses any NAS-generated connect string)

The Access Control System 5.x will not allow us to modify such dictionaries as RADIUS IETF in order to comply with the documented standards.

The best approach at this point would be to contact the switches vendor in order to determine how to enable SSH on those devices.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your answer!

I will contact switches vendor but I don't think they have other solutions

Other RADIUS solutions allow us to modify RADIUS IETF dictionaries.

Best regards,

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: