Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.2 - System Alarm [Database Purging]

Pierre Dubois
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Since I daily received email telling me that no incremental backup wasn't configured (appliances are backed up weekly), I decided to define incremental and full backup view.

Cisco Secure ACS - Alarm Notification

Severity: Warning

Alarm Name

System   Alarm [Database Purging]

Cause/Trigger

Incremental   Backup Not Configured

Alarm Details

Incremental   backup is not configured. Configuring incremental backup is necessary to make   the database purge successful. This will help to avoid disk space issues.   View database Size is 5.7GB and size it occupies on the harddisk is 5.68GB.

Generated On

Thu   Mar 22 04:00:00 CET 2012

I now get 2 emails everday at 4am informing me of the beginning and the ending of the purging. They're informal.

Cisco Secure ACS -   Alarm Notification

Severity: Information

Alarm Name

System Alarm [Database Purging]

Cause/Trigger

Database Purge finished

Alarm Details

Purge is successful. The size of   records present in view data base is 6.99 GB. The physical size of the view   data base on the disk 7.01 GB. If you want to reduce the physical size of the   view data base, run acsview-db-compress command from acs-config mode through   command line.

Generated On

Thu Apr 12 04:00:01 CEST 2012

Is there any way to avoid that ??

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

First of all the purging is good and ensures that disk does not get full

See:

CSCto47203  ACS 5 runs out of disk space

which is resolved in patch 6 for 5.2

In general creation of alarms is configiurable at Monitoring and Reports >      Alarms > Thresholds

However, looks like these are not configurable so that can always track purge activity

Yes, alarms are configurable. Except for System Alarms which the help says "You cannot configure system alarms, which are predefined". This is typically a system alarm.

Honnestly, I don't really need to know everyday whether the system has been purged correctly. I need to know in case of something goes wrong....

Hello,

Anyone knows how I can avoid receiving emails everyday telling me that the database purge is done ? The problem is that the day I get a really alert I won't read it at all as emails are automatically deleted...

Thanks,

same problem...

does anyone find a solution?

thanks.

vthaluru
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Danil,

These alarms are expected ,when DBPurge runs on successfully .

If you disable those alarms ,then you will not get the status of DBPurge ,whether it has run on today or not .

But you need to check on scheduler page manually ,whether DBPurge is run on today or not .

If DBPurge is not run on more days ,then we will get opt is 100% .

If you want to disable those alarms ,then unselect on Notify System Alarms:(Monitoring Configuration > System Configuration > System Alarm Settings).

if you unselect that option ,then you will not get any system alarms

Thanks

VenkataKrishna

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Hello,

Thank you for your help on that.

I would like to keep having all the system alarms but not those related to the DB purge. Is there any way to achieve that?

Thanks,

Hi Pierre,

We have no option like to disable particular alarm like DBPurge or Incrbackup .. etc.

Thanks

VenkataKrishna

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: