Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.3 VM - editing CLI roles for VMWare admins

I have a client that is running ACS 5.3 as a VM in ESX 4.1.  The client wants their VMWare admins to have the ability to shut down the ACS server during maintenance etc...  I know I could create a CLI user with admin priviliges, however, assigning full admin priviliges is beyond the scope of what the user requires.  They simply want a user account with the added privilige of performing a halt from the CLI.  In the CLI Reference Guide for ACS, I can't find any documentation that references how to accomplish this.

So is it possible to create an account with user priviliges, then modify its permissions to allow for a halt?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Strickland

3 Replies 3

Dirk Woellhaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

are you shure that there is a "halt" command? Just know about the "reload" command.

For Maintenance,..just pause the machine or "move" it to another ESX machine.

regards,

Dirk

regards, Dirk (Please rate if helpful)

Hi Dirk,

Yes, Halt is a command in the Linux CLI under ACS, it's the only way I'm aware of to cleanly bring down the ACS server.  The client is using locally attached storage so pausing or migrating ACS to another VM Server is not an option.  The roles I'm referring to are not GUI based accounts but created on the command line of the ACS server itself...Scott

Awesome!

never seen it before! Thanks!

But for your problem, as there is just the choice of "admin" or "user" for a username, I think your customer has to trust his vm-admins, I doubt that the "user"-role is allowed to halt the system.

regards,

Dirk

regards, Dirk (Please rate if helpful)