Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACS 5.4.0.46.4 secondary takes long time to become online

Hello everybody,

The subject pretty much self explanatory. I have a fresh ACS 5.4.0.46.4 installation consist of 2 boxes in a distributed enviroment. Everything besides policy left to defaults.

After, say a reebot to secondary box it takes very long time (simetimes hour or even longer) till primary will see it as 'active'.

In the meantime (it might be unrelated), the following log continously re-appears "Could not start message bus" or "Dropped connection. Reconnecting".

Basically, secondary remains offline for very long time and than somehow for no apparent reason, becomes online and replicated.

Anybody seen this? Any suggestions for troubleshouting will also be welcomed.

Thank you,

Alex.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ACS 5.4.0.46.4 secondary takes long time to become online

1.] It just happens when you reboot your secondary server or at the time when we register seconary to primary server?

2.] Are both the boxes in the same network?

3.] It's just we see box status incorrect or it creates issues with replication process as well, does replication works fine. When we see secondary as OFFLINE.

4.] Can you please provide me management level debugs:

Here are the steps:

acs/acsadmin# acs-config

Escape character is CNTL/D.

Username: xxxx ( GUI ADMIN USERNAME)

Password: xxxx ( GUI ADMIN PASSWORD)

acs/acsadmin(config-acs)# debug-log mgmt level debug

Exit

Show acs-logs filename ACSManagement.log

Note: Once you collect the above fine. Turn off the mgmt logs with this command

debug-log mgmt level warn

Save complete output of the ACSManagement.log in a text file and attach to your next post when possible.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~BR Jatin Katyal **Do rate helpful posts**

Hello Jatin Katyal,

Thank you for answering.

1. Yes, every time the 2 disconnected for any (justified) reason - such us, me rebooting any one of them - both see each other disconnected for long time. That's the issue.

2. They are not in the same network. They are in 2 different sites communicating over VPN. Everything permitted across VPN. No drops/problems/issues seen in firewall logs. In fact, it's probably not networking issue because firewall 'doesn't know' I just rebooted ACS-A. The reason for ACSes disconnected is justified (primary, reboots made by me) - it's just takes very long each sees other 'online' again. After they recognized other is 'up', everything runs smooth.

3. They simply stays 'offline' for hour or longer and then suddenly all 2 see the other 'online' (for no apparent reason).

4. I'll provide logs shortly.

Thank You.

Hello Jatin Katyal,

Here're the logs.

Due to VMware maintenance, I had the opportunity to clock how long it takes till those 2 see each other online.

VMware maintenance ended at 10:16 (that's the time everything was up and I'd expect both ACSes to reach each other), but it took till 12:08 when both ACSes suddenly (for no apparent reason) saw each other online. That's the time period covered in logs.

Cisco Employee

Will update the thread with my findings.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

Cisco Employee

I went through the mgmt logs and it shows secondary node status 3 (i.e. OFFLINE) until the replication status was PENDING. However, as soon as REPLICATION completed the secondary node status shows 4 (i.e ONLINE).

Jul 08 2013 12:07:57 com.cisco.nm.acs.mgmt.gui.app.utils. DistributedManagerGuiUtils.log(DistributedManagerGuiUtils.java:284) DEBUG http-443-5 Acs.MGMT.GUI  ------ replicationStatus = UPDATED

Jul 08 2013 12:07:57 com.cisco.nm.acs.mgmt.gui.app.utils.DistributedManagerGuiUtils.log(DistributedManagerGuiUtils.java:284) DEBUG http-443-5 Acs.MGMT.GUI  ------ onlineStatus = 4

nodeType = SECONDARY

Jul 08 2013 11:57:14 com.cisco.nm.acs.mgmt.gui.app.utils.DistributedManagerGuiUtils.log(DistributedManagerGuiUtils.java:284) DEBUG http-443-5 Acs.MGMT.GUI  ------ replicationStatus = PENDING

Jul 08 2013 11:57:14 com.cisco.nm.acs.mgmt.gui.app.utils.DistributedManagerGuiUtils.log(DistributedManagerGuiUtils.java:284) DEBUG http-443-5 Acs.MGMT.GUI  ------ onlineStatus = 3

Looks like FULL REPLICATION was triggered as soon as you register the secondary box and it took around 2 hours to get completed.

Can you check on Primary > system administration > operations > distributed system management > what is the time in sec's configured for check secondary in every.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

We had the same Problem after updating from Patch 2 to Patch 4.

The secondary will be checked every 60 seconds. (default)

Our "solution" was to remove Patch 4 and everything worked fine.

Would be nice to read about a better solution.

BR

Gernot.

Hello hoellerg1,

Thank you for replying.

We upgraded to patch 4 as though it will solve the problem.

Thank You,

We'll check those settings (tough I believe those were left to defaults as everything).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content