Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.4 RADIUS Conditions

dyop.geop
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

First time posting, hope y'all can be gentle.

Can I get a "for dummies" explanation of the RADIUS Attributes, maybe for the dictionary RADIUS-IETF first.

For example, if i'm goinfg to make a Condition, and choose RADIUS-IETF as my dictionary, what are the 'Attribute' selections?
I mean, what am I trying to look for?

I've been reading different kinds of documentations like the ACS user guide, 

RADIUS Attributes Overview and RADIUS IETF Attributes from cisco site, etc.

But, everything is so broad.

If I select "service-type" , which most of the tutorial videos use, what did I select?

After that, 'Call check' is selected.

also, other stuff selected in conditions are, NAS port type, Framed, etc.

Maybe what I'm asking is a very noob explanation of the attributes and an explanation how these things work?

I hope somebody has the patience to answer. thank you so much!

5 Replies 5

dyop.geop
Level 1
Level 1

bump.

Hi Geoffret,

Service-Type: Indicates the type of service requested or the type of service to be provided.

In your case it would be used as condition. Let's pick an example of (service-type = call-check); cisco switches uniquely identify MAB requests by setting Attribute 6 (Service-Type) to 10 (Call-Check) in a MAB Access-Request message. therefore, you can use Attribute 6 service-type to filter MAB requests at the RADIUS server.

We use these conditions so that different radius-requests can be differentiated based on the attribute and value they have to provide different results.

Let me know if you have any questions.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin

Thanks for th reply Jatin!

I kind'a get that when we're talking about MAB requests, i have to select Service-type - call check.

What i'm trying to ask is, why call check? why not select others?

I mean, why do they call it call check? what kind of call is to be checked?

Like for example, if this is for 802.1x, i have to select "Framed" instead of "call check". why?

is this just a simple case of "if i want this situation, i have to select this" ?

I guess I just want to understand what i'm selecting and not just select or click something for it to work.

Hope you got my dilemma.

much appreciated on the future replies.

i browsed through the links given, didn't get the answer i was looking for. but there were a lot that added to my need for fully understanding acs.
Thanks.