Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.5 RADIUS OUTBOUND Attributes Injection feature

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hello

I'm having a look at the RADIUS OUTBOUND Attributes Injection feature for the External Proxy service in ACS version 5.5.0.46.

The use case is:

• ACS uses the External Proxy service to authenticate wireless users with certain domain suffixes
  • Sometimes the username Access-Accept comes back with the domain suffix stripped.
  • The result of this is:
    • ACS logs a successful authentication with the sent username (with suffix)
    • ACS sends the Access-Accept to the WLC and the user is listed on the WLC (without suffix)
    • Subsequent accounting packets for the user appear in ACS (without suffix)

In the past I've used a freeradius proxy server between ACS and the external proxy to 'rewrite' the username in the Access-Accept so that it matches the username origianlly sent in the Access-Request. The code for this looked something like the following.

Post-proxy {
update outer.reply {
User-Name := "%{request:User-Name}"
}
}

I'm looking to do the above solely with ACS but I can't see the Radius-ietf username attribute listed under the RADIUS OUTBOUND Attributes Injection feature. Is it possible to rewrite the username attribute in ACS 5.5?

Thanks
Andy

1 Reply 1

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Don't think this can be done in ACS 5.5 when using an External Proxy Service Type.

Interestingly, it appears to be possible with a Network Access Service Type. Under Allowed Protocols there is a tick box for Send as User-Name in RADIUS Access-Accept - one of the options is RADIUS Access-Request User-Name. Hopefully this will be implemented in a future release for External Proxy.

Cheers

Andy