cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS Log File Management

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

I have an ACS 4.0 device. I have started to logging more data to the TACACS Admin file and now want to change the defaults. The default being rotate log every month and keep the last 7 files. I would like rotate log files daily and keep the previous month (30 days). The system defaults to keeping either the past 7 files or past 7 days. I have not been able to change the number 7 to anything else (like 30).

Ideas?

9 Replies 9

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

If I got it correct you want acs to generate new log file everyday and should keep files for a month.

If that is the case then you can choose ,

Generate New File ---->Evereyday

Manage directory

Delete files older than ----> 32 or may be more days.

By this it will make new file everyday and will keep last 32 days( two days buffer)

In ACS logs you cannot define date fields ..lets say "keep logs from 1 Apr to 30 Apr".

Hope that helps !

Regards,

Jagdeep

You are correct. I change the default entry (7 days or 7 files) to 32 or any number. I click 'submit'. The change appears to be ok (at least no errors are given). After 'submit' the logging configuration page is displayed. I reenter TACACS admin page to confirm my changes. The number 7 appears and not the number 32 that I entered moments earlier.

Can you try using another browser or computer ? Also try reloading the services,

acs--->system control---> service control ---> restart.

Regards

I tried two different browsers and different computers but did not have any luck. The ACS service is running on Windows. I logged directly into the server and accessed the ACS service locally. During my ACS trials Windows Update requested a restart. I did so. When the server can back up, the log sets were at 30 days/files (not 7). I needed to change the default setting of 7 days/files in several areas. I found these steps to be successful. Enter in the number of files or days you wish to keep (in my case 30). Select 'submit'. At this point, I restarted the service (or reboot the device). When the device/service came back up the days/files setting is no longer 7 but instead 30 (or whatever you decide).

Thanks for the service restart idea.

Hi,

I have problem with generating new file. I even don't have option to tell ACS when to generate new log file. All my logs are recorded in just one file. Is there any solution for that?

I have ACS Release 4.2(0) Build 124

It seems you have acs appliance. The ACS app creates a new log file when the log file size reaches 10MB. It only keeps seven most recent log files for each CSV logs so there is no possibility of running out of disk space.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

So there is no chance that I can manipulate with log files like I can do with ACS software which is not app?

You can do it for remote logging but not local logs.

Any specific reason you are looking for this options in ACS appliance?

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

Thats odd - the default for a S/W ACS is to rollover daily.

The default for an SE is monthly and is (or was hard coded in v3.x)

Which is it you have?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: