cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS machine AND user authentication with Mac OS?

Rod Kreutz
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to authenticate MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.2) domain member client the same way as the microsoft domain member clients listed below (...machine AND user creditional authentication via AD, using pacs, etc.)?

ACS 5.1  - Radius

AD identity store

eap-fast machine AND user creditional authentication, using pacs

XP/Vista/Win7 domain member clients authentication flow works correctly

4 Replies 4

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rod,

ACS supports EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, PEAP (EAP-MSCHAPv2), and PEAP (EAP-GTC) for machine authentication. You can enable each separately on the Active Directory: General Page, which allows a mix of computers that authenticate with EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, or PEAP (EAP-MSCHAPv2). Microsoft operating systems that perform machine authentication might limit the user authentication protocol to the same protocol that is used for machine authentication.

I think MAC clients does support machine authentication because I have seen machine authentication on MAC clients with VPN so there must be an option for EAP protocol. Now, If MAC clients send the machine authentication in the same format then yes it will works with windows enviorment.

Machine authentication in ACS 5.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.1/user/guide/eap_pap_phase.html#wp1014866

EAP-FAST in ACS 5.1
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.1/user/guide/eap_pap_phase.html#wp1013804

Regds,

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

Nigel Bowden
Level 2
Level 2

Rod,

Did you ever get this  working? I have the same question and am intrigued to know if the MAC OS will support machine authentication.

I've had a good look around, and there doesn't seem to be much information about...

Thanks.

Nigel.

No...never got it working, perhaps some changes to the Active Directory schema would be required.

Rod

jlhainy
Level 2
Level 2

I am trying to do the same thing.  I would like to use machine authentication using PEAP on a Mac, but I don't see a setting to tell the mac to use machine auth vs user auth.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: