Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS migration utility

ThibaultMean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i'm using the Migration Utility to migrate an ACS 4.2 to an ACS 5.2.

Form the log I can see the migration is completed successfully however, no objects from the 4.2 appear in the ACS 5.2.

>> Is there a way to check the ACS 5.2 database since the migration failed despite the "success" message in the Migration Utility log?

Now I'm "migrating" ACS manually which is a bit of pain...

Regards,

Thibault.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The migration can be a bit convoluted and when I have run into this issue before it was because the changes weren't actually migrated to ACS.  It is actually a 2 step process:

1) Analyze And Export (this creates the files to be imported into ACS 5 locally on the migration machine.

2) Import - this actually imports the data into ACS 5  (this is the step most commonly missed).

Also here are some hopefully helpful tips for your migration:

1) Start with a fresh database and import your first set of objects, if you don't like it you can use the 'acs reset-config' command from the command line to restore the ACS to factory defaults.

2) After you have the first set of objects imported take an ACS backup, when you go to import your next set of objects and you end up not liking where the import put the objects you can restore that backup and not lose your prevously imported data that you did like.

HTH

--Jesse

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The migration can be a bit convoluted and when I have run into this issue before it was because the changes weren't actually migrated to ACS.  It is actually a 2 step process:

1) Analyze And Export (this creates the files to be imported into ACS 5 locally on the migration machine.

2) Import - this actually imports the data into ACS 5  (this is the step most commonly missed).

Also here are some hopefully helpful tips for your migration:

1) Start with a fresh database and import your first set of objects, if you don't like it you can use the 'acs reset-config' command from the command line to restore the ACS to factory defaults.

2) After you have the first set of objects imported take an ACS backup, when you go to import your next set of objects and you end up not liking where the import put the objects you can restore that backup and not lose your prevously imported data that you did like.

HTH

--Jesse

ThibaultMean
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for your answer. - It all went very smoothly.

I wish the migration guide was as clear as your message.

Regards,

Thibault.