Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS Question

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm new to thw world of port security and using a Cisco ACS server. We've recently implemented 802.1x and I have the following issue.

I have a mixture of HP switches and Cisco. The problem I have is at a particular location and the switch is an HP and the VOIP phone is MITEL. I have a user's who's phone reboot randomly during the day this just started happening and it's at random times and it's a random number of times. When I look at the logs in the ACS it doesn't really give my much info other than say hey this phone authenticated properly. I have researched Mitel as I thought maybe there is some time that has it go back and re-authenticate but I haven't found anything like this. Even if it did I have many phones that would be randomly rebooting. I guess I'm not sure what's causing the phone to actually reboot the ACS, Switch, or phone itself. Hoping someone could point me in the right direction on which logs to check or maybe I'm missing something on the ACS that would provide me with better insight as to why this happens.

Thanks,

Derek

3 Replies 3

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

I think your ACS is working fine and your IP phones register to the callmanager and then reregister then look in the application logs to find the reason code.

Please  give a better description of exacly what the phones are doing when  booting up.  Also let me know if you are using auto registration or if  you add the phone manually.  Thanks

Hi Ravi,

I'm not sure what you mean by auto registration or add manually. Are you referring to how I add the phone to the network in the first place or how it get's added to the ACS? I have to setup the phones manually depending on the location and I enter in the username and pw for 802.1x on the phone. For the description of the phone it just goes through it's normal bootup process are you looking for the exact steps it takes?

Thanks,

Hello,

I'm still struggling at a few locations where this is happening. I have taken port security off one port today and will find out if the phone reboots over the next day or so as it has been happening every day.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

Derek