cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS SE Upgraed from 3.3.3 to 4.

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

I'm planning the above on an SE 1112. I believe I've figured out the correct process from documentation but are there any gotchas anyone can warn me of?

25 Replies 25

The word "backup" is engraved on my heart! As for the 3.3.3 disk; check.

Andrew,

Not sure if you have done your upgrade, but this is the results from ours:-

1. Always re-image with NIC1 attached to any network, otherwise if not connected, powering down and up the appliance will likely cause the loss of all IP config details, and the CLI prevents you from re-adding them.

2. The appliance creates a proxy entry of address 169.x.x.x, and trys to forward all authentication requests to this address. The hostname programed at setup time is assigned to this address, while an entry called Deliverance1 is assigned to the address that you used during setup. This is a bug, due to the Windows IP stack. The workaround is to edit the proxy distribution table, and swap entries around, this allows you to delete the 169.x.x.x address.

Thanks, Gary.

Gary,

Thanks for the tip, I've run into this one myself : ) Took a looooong while to figure that one out.

Our upgrade is scheduled for Monday and I'll report back here when it's done. Fingers crossed!

Andrew.

On site to do the upgrade, I find that the CD kit (CSACSE-4.0-SWUP-K9) doesn't include the "Upgrade Package Appliance Management Software" so I'm stuck! URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUIRED!!! I can't find anywhere on CCO I can download it, is there something missing from the kit?

Hi,

TAC can let you download the Upgrade package. Open a TAC case with contract number/serial number of the appliance/purchase order number/sales order number.

Regards,

Vivek

I'm trying to do this at present but it looks like we will have to image the appliance with v 4 software and rebuild the config due to time constraints.

I am *really* not amused that all the required software is not in the box.

Rather than opening a TAC case and using one of your credits, contact licensing@cisco.com. They will open a TAC case and post the software for you.

We had the same issue, in our case we had the upgrade, but no re-image software.

Once you have upgraded you need to patch the platform. Little issue there as well, for every patch you apply from your PC, stop the web server afterwards otherwise it tries to apply the patch that you have just done.

Gary.

Upgrade complete, after a fashion. In the end we just went for a "don't preserve settings" upgrade by imaging the box with the 4 recovery CD which was included in the upgrade kit. That went OK ...... at the second attempt and we then rebuilt the config manually.

I am still amazed that Cisco can ship an upgrade kit that doesn't include all the required components. I may well have been able to open a TAC case to get access to them but why should I do that? The customer has bought and paid for the upgrade kit so everything required should be in the box. I searched every CD in the box and it wasn't there. Anyone from Cisco care to comment?

Without wishing to appear bitter and twisted, a final word or two on the subject:

This upgrade was originally planned to take place in late December 2006. Problem 1; we couldn't get the upgrade kit in time, apparently a 6 week lead time wasn't enough for Cisco to come up with the kit.

Problem 2; as described above, kit apparently incomplete. Granted one solution might be to open a TAC case and get the missing bit posted for download BUT let's have a think about the job we're doing. This is a critical system, downtime is VERY limited. I had a 3 hour drive to site plus specially arranged downtime so I don't have much time or the option of hauling off and coming back the next day so you can imagine my delight at finding the kit was incomplete. Further, the time neeeded to raise the TAC case and go through all the hoops simply wasn't there. Luckily I had documented the original config (as well as backing it up and imaging the box) beforehand so was able to follow the path I finally chose. Had this not been possible I would have been left twisting in the wind ..... by Cisco.

My final advice to those carrying out this task, allow plenty of time to source the kit in the first place. Once you have the kit, read the upgrade instructions and verify you have ALL the software needed (note to Cisco; seems I'm not the only one to have received an incomplete kit). In addition, take careful note of the other tips very kindly listed above by others, many thanks guys for your input.

We attempted the upgrade using the 4.1.1.23 disk this past weekend with itentical results. Did you ever get a resolution? We opend a TAC case but they have not been able to re-create the problem.

Nick

Which problem exactly are you suffering from?