cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authorization rule for EAP-FAST (inner EAP-TLS)

tinu_karki
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ISE deployment where we are looking to use EAP-FAST as our authentication method with EAP-TLS as the inner method. We are checking both machine and user certificate. We initally had the following condition in our AuthZ rule -> EapChainingResult = User and machine both succeeded, however we found that intially machine succeeds and the user doesnt succeed until after windows login. If we change the condition to EapTunnelType = EAPFAST then it works fine, logs show that while initially user fails and machine succeeds, after login to windows shell then both user and machine succeded log message is visible. My preference would be to get it working with the first condition as it is a more valid check but it doesnt work due to the initial failure, anyone else got EAP-FAST (EAP-TLS) working.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

I have it running at a customer, and as you discovered only machine auth succeeds initially, this is because the user store where the users certificate is not opened until they have logged ind, this is working as intended.

What you can do is to have two different authz rules, one for eapchainingresult=machine succeded and user failed, and another one for when both succeed. This way you can give granular access by using another ACL for the machine, so the machine doesn't get full access to the network before a user has logged in.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

I have it running at a customer, and as you discovered only machine auth succeeds initially, this is because the user store where the users certificate is not opened until they have logged ind, this is working as intended.

What you can do is to have two different authz rules, one for eapchainingresult=machine succeded and user failed, and another one for when both succeed. This way you can give granular access by using another ACL for the machine, so the machine doesn't get full access to the network before a user has logged in.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. I will test it down in the lab and get back to you.

Regards

Thanks that is working fine now as per your suggestion