Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot from DVD broke the ISE

Capricorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have ISE device and by mistake I selected the wrong option of booting it from DVD and it went to install process before I kill it.

Now when I boot from hard disk I get grub prompt.

grub>

Is it possilbe to recover it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The backup config will work only the same version. Closing this thread.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you killed the install process partway through you will have to go back in and re-start from the beginning letting the process complete. Until you do that you will have an unbootable device such as you are seeing.

If this is a supported device you can open a TAC case for detailed guidance.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think if I run the boot process then it will not kill mai existing policies/settings?

Yes it most likely will do so as setup primes the database anew.

TAC *might* be able to guide you to restore without destroying but even they might not be able to help as ISE is designed to be booted securely and resistant to hacking even with physical access to the appliance.

You have no backup?

I have from end of 2016. The only that is changed during the time is the CA certifcate.

Check with TAC, but if you have to reimage the box, use daemon lite and nero burning to create a DVD with the required image. Let me check if I have a written procedure for this to provide you (the process is quite simple). The problem becomes if you are running ISE 2.2 then you need to be careful with any hotspot portal or guest portal and the certificate part (it is a little bit tricky).. What kind of ISE you have (3300,3400 or 3500)?

I have reimaged the box. Thanks.

Although I have the backup and I tried to restore but it didnt work. Even though I tried with all password combination I use.

Quick question, once you reimage the appliance to whatever version you were running, did you install the corresponding patches that you were using when the backup was created? you cannot restore the backup if the version + patches are not there.

thanks

I was thinking the same thing and I did apply the patch and still no luck.

Now I have some doubt that if the back I have taken was from older version like 1.2 or 1.3 and upgraded to 1.4 and its patch ... Confused now.

Is it possible to run test VM of 1.2 and try to restore or it need to be on the same hard ware?

ok its confirmed that the backup was taken on old version. I am able to restore now.

The backup config will work only the same version. Closing this thread.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: