cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS 4.2: Most important files to Backup ?

glemaire
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

Can you tell me what are the most important files to backup in the Cisco ACS Directory?

Currently, I'm only backup (with Symantec Backup Exec):

C:\Program Files\CiscoSecure ACS v4.2\CSAuth\System Backups

* But, I would like to know if my server crash, can I restore the entire configuration with the files listed in the directory below? (Users groups, devices groups, AD mapping to the users groups, …)

* Did the Cisco ACS make change in the Windows Registry?

* Is-it necessary to reinstall the Cisco ACS if I need to put it in emergency on a new server? I guess yes, because the installation creates services, etc.

I ask this question because it takes time to install the patchs...

* Or, can I backup all the Cisco ACS directory... On a new server, install the Cisco ACS, and restore the backup ?

Thanks a lot to give me your experience about that.

Kind regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Premdeep Banga
Level 7
Level 7

You should backup the files that are taken from ACS backup, i.e.

System Configuration > ACS Backup, the location specified under this section.

And the default location is the one you are already backing up i.e. "C:\Program Files\CiscoSecure ACS v4.2\CSAuth\System Backups "

In the event that you are required to host ACS on a new server, you would be required to re-install the complete ACS application, and then simply take the latest backup and restore it in the newly installed ACS. It will restore everything from users, group etc to External database mappings etc.

When you install ACS on a new server, then ensure that if you are running ACS Services with a service account (this is required for Window Authentication as per your requirement), you would be required to run the new services with that account too, and that might require you to go through following documentation,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/installation/guide/windows/postin.html#wp1041202

Regards,

Prem

Please rate if it helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Premdeep Banga
Level 7
Level 7

You should backup the files that are taken from ACS backup, i.e.

System Configuration > ACS Backup, the location specified under this section.

And the default location is the one you are already backing up i.e. "C:\Program Files\CiscoSecure ACS v4.2\CSAuth\System Backups "

In the event that you are required to host ACS on a new server, you would be required to re-install the complete ACS application, and then simply take the latest backup and restore it in the newly installed ACS. It will restore everything from users, group etc to External database mappings etc.

When you install ACS on a new server, then ensure that if you are running ACS Services with a service account (this is required for Window Authentication as per your requirement), you would be required to run the new services with that account too, and that might require you to go through following documentation,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/installation/guide/windows/postin.html#wp1041202

Regards,

Prem

Please rate if it helps!

Many thanks for you answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: