Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS Deployment / License question

startx001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

If i have ACS  CSACS-4.2-WIN-K9  and i want to upgrade to CSACS-5.5-VM-UP-K9 .

does i need any license 

CSACS-5-ADV-LIC         ACS 5 Security Group Access System License

or

CSACS-5-LRG-LIC         ACS 5 Large Deployment Add-on License 

Now i found that :

Large Deployment license is needed if customer has more than 500 devices (AAA clients). There is no such option in ACS 4.2

Security Group Access System license is required for Security Group Access (SGA) and 802.1AE (also known as MACsec) functions. 

but how to see how many  clients have on ACS , and i i have more that 500 i need license , and i i have less than 500 i dont need any license ?

Kind Regards

VZ

7 Replies 7

Abhishek Pakrashi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The need for license is checked by how many IPs are defined in the 'Network Devices and AAA clients section'

If IP ranges are not being used, then simply export the report for all the AAA devices and check the number of rows in the exported file to get a count of the network devices and hence the number of IP addresses being used.

Hi,

I want to upgarde csacs server from 4.x to 5.6 . Can it be done or to start 5.6 from scratch .

if i put new csacs 5.x , how to i backup database  ? any document ? will it be compatibile ?

Kind regards,

VZ

Direct upgrade is not possible due to the core OS change. Prior to 5.x, ACS was running on the top of Widows. With version 5.x and later, ACS is installed on the top of Linux OS (Cent OS). 

The good news is that you can migrate from 4.x to 5.x:

You can migrate to 5.6 directly from

ACS 4.1.1.24
ACS 4.1.4
ACS 4.2.0.124
ACS 4.2.1

For more info take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5-6/migration/guide/migration_guide.html

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Now regarding 5.5 i will put in on VMware , can i have two machines , some HA replication with same license  ?

One active , one standby , some database replication on day base level ? or similar ?

Can i use same license ?

I bought from Cisco :

CSACS-5.5-VM-UP-K9

CSACS-5-BASE-LIC
L-CSACS-5-LRG-LIC=

Yes, you can cluster the devices together where you will only make changes on the primary ACS node. Those changes will be replicated to the secondary unit.

Each ACS appliance needs and comes with the Base license

For the cluster, you only need a single Large license

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

No 2 ACS cannot be put in the replication with the same license. The requirement for the ACS to be put is replication are:

1. Same version

2. Different License

#Please rate helpful posts#

Hi ,

In CSACS-5.5-VM-UP-K9 , i get base license already in software ?

because i didnt get it separetly .

KR 

VZ