cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE installation on VMware Workstation ?

paragmahajan40
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install Cisco ISE image through Vmaware Workstation , but after starting VM getting redhat console but not the same console required for setup of actual ISE . Would like to know whether VMware workstation supported for ISE installation as all the cisco docs specifies the image to be mounted on ESX server, then login to client to run setup.. Please help...

16 Replies 16

danhosking
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. You need to configure you VM and choose to install OS at a later stage. Select the ISO under the DVD drive setting. When you power up the machine it will then boot and display the menu you are expecting to see. Let me know if you need further help and I will post screenshots.

I am now at the stage where it is all up and running, but I cannot browse the GUI see this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2127321

I would like to know if you run into the same issue.

I have just installed it to VM workstation 6.5, I can web in with just internet explorer in XP. You may want to try the newer ISE version 1.12.

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have had ISE installed on Workstation 8 and 9 with no problems.

mojuneja
Level 1
Level 1

Can we install cisco ISE on nfs file system?

ISE VM versions 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 are not installing.

After initial section to choose boot option (number 1 is selected for keyboard and mouse), vmlinuz is loaded, initrd.img is loaded, then two more lines of dots are showing on the VM console screen, with "ready" at the end, and nothing is happening.

I was waiting for over an hour for the next step (first with 1.1.2 and then with 1.1.1), and in the ISE hardware installation guide is clearly written "20 minutes". When used memory and processor were checked for the VM, the lines were flat on 0%. The ESX host hardware spec was approved in Cisco ISE HLD. The only difference is that the customer is using NFS file system not VMFS, but nowhere in the installation guide is written that the image cannot be installed on NFS.

Is it the issue with file system? As in installation guide vmfs3 is being used.

If you refer to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.2/installation_guide/ise_vmware.html

It says :

Storage

#

File System—VMFS

#

We recommend that you use VMFS for storage. Other storage protocols are  not tested and might result in some file system errors.

#

Internal Storage—SCSI/SAS

#

External Storage—iSCSI/SAN

#

We do not recommend the use of NFS storage.

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Yes, VMware  workstation supported for ISE installation.  I am giving you the installation  guide for ISE on VMware and Esxi server. Please follow the steps, i have done my  installation using this guide only.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.0.4/install_guide/ise104_vmware.html

How about ISE1.2, will it work under VMware WS as well?

Hello,

Yes, the latest ISE 1.2 version can also be used on VMware Work Station.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

You can install ISE 1.2 on both EXi server and Vmware workstation or any other virtual tool

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Every ISE image can be installed pr I would say mounted  in the VMware Workstation and on the ESXI server.

ISE comes in two platforms in Hardware and another in the form of image which can be mounted.

ramu vennavelly
Level 1
Level 1

hello ,

does installing a vm on workstation or esxi server effect the performance either of the virtual machine or the pc.??

is there any difference installing a vm either on esxi or on workstation..?? performance wise (of our pc & vm)..??

except for the fact that we can't access the vm if its on workstation , (correct me if I'm wrong)..!!

I've started installing ISE 1.2 (redhat linux 5 64 bit)  , looking at the posts above.. on VMware workstation 9..

1stly I gave 6gb ram ( my laptop has 6 gb ram & 290gb free space ) and started the installation process..

then after the starting stage of checking the requirements of my laptop started and the formatting of the disk began , my lap became very slow & it got hanged there..all my pc processes moved like snails..!! got frustated..

then I restarted my lap and this time I gave 4gb ram .. and it worked fine from then on..

can anyone tell me , if this has to do anthing with the physical memory we give over there in the ise installtion process..does it actually use the entire ram we mention over there..??

and also how do we actually integrate gns3 with the workstation or the esxi server for practising purpose..??

any help regarding the integration of gns3 with esxi/workstation would be very helpful ,

thank you..!!

Yes Ramu, ISE 1.2 require all 4 GB physical ram at the time of installation. I don't know how to integrate it with GNS3. But it would be interesting to do so. I will try and get back to you.

Kashif,

What do you mean by any "virtual tool"?

I get unsupporeted hardware detected when trying to install under Virtual box.

Regards

Niklas

Cisco "Officially" supports VMWare's ESXi/vSphere platform.  Yes, ISE works in VMWare Workstation, but is not tested on every hardware platform available, therefore, not supported.  The the case mentioned above,

I've started installing ISE 1.2 (redhat linux 5 64 bit)  , looking at the posts above.. on VMware workstation 9..

1stly I gave 6gb ram ( my laptop has 6 gb ram & 290gb free space ) and started the installation process..

then  after the starting stage of checking the requirements of my laptop  started and the formatting of the disk began , my lap became very slow  & it got hanged there..all my pc processes moved like snails..!! got  frustated..

then I restarted my lap and this time I gave 4gb ram .. and it worked fine from then on..

can  anyone tell me , if this has to do anthing with the physical memory we  give over there in the ise installtion process..does it actually use the  entire ram we mention over there..??

Niklas

All possible System RAM was allocated to the ISE VM, and the ISE VM used ALL of the RAM leaving none for the host OS, thereby slowing the machine to a crawl.  Once this Virtual RAM was sized to the ISE minimum of 4GB (leaving 2GB dedicated to the host OS), the machine worked correctly.  Yes, the ISE VM will happily use ALL the RAM allocated to it.

This is also the reason that Virtual Box and other "Desktop" class virtualization environments cannot be supported across the board.  Nearly every machine hosting VMWare Workstation, Virtual Box, etc... has a different chipset, video card, HD controller, and on, and on...

The best thing to do for your situation is to try to install it.  If it works, document your EXACT system configuration and the EXACT virtual configuration so that you may look back to it for future installs.  You can also use this information to "tweak" the virtual settings until you get a combination that works for you.  This will help to document the configurations that do not work on YOUR desktop environment.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: