Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 9300 Virtual Port Channel Support

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As I am new to Nexus 9300 and I was wondering if the switch may support virtual port channel (VPC)? I was wondering if there may be any feature matrix to compare it against the 9500/N7Ks/N5Ks

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure VPCs on the 9300 series in NX-OS mode. The big selling point for Nexus 9k series in general though is ACI mode which would generally be deployed in a fabric-based leaf and spine topology.

In a fabric we use Equal Cost Multipath and don't need a VPC setup which is designed to alleviate some limitations of spanning tree in classical Ethernet.

Have a look at the Cisco Live presentation BRKARC-2222 for a good overview of Nexus 9k design and architectures.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure VPCs on the 9300 series in NX-OS mode. The big selling point for Nexus 9k series in general though is ACI mode which would generally be deployed in a fabric-based leaf and spine topology.

In a fabric we use Equal Cost Multipath and don't need a VPC setup which is designed to alleviate some limitations of spanning tree in classical Ethernet.

Have a look at the Cisco Live presentation BRKARC-2222 for a good overview of Nexus 9k design and architectures.

Hi Marvin,

Appreciate for the information. I believe the customer is in the process of moving to ACI gradually however the setup I will be making will be classical ethernet setup which is similar to VSS setup whereby the N9300 would make use of VPC to connect to catalyst 3K/6K switch. I have illustrated it below for reference:

Catalyst 6500 Non-VSS (Core)

|----(VPC)---|

N9300 ----- N9300   (Aggregation/Distribution)

|----(VPC)---|

Catalyst 3K switch (Access)

Appreciate for clarrifiying the support for VPC for Nexus 9300 as I made a search on feature navigator for "Virtual Port Channel" which only listed the N7K platforms.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Thanks for the rating.

I seldom use feature navigator and instead look to the configuration guides for the product in question. That's a more definitive answer in my opinion. Here's the Nexus 9000 configuration Guide link describing VPC setup. (It's also shown in the Cisco Live presentation I mentioned earlier.)

Plus I find Feature Navigator one of the least useful tools on Cisco's website (and I've been using cisco.com for 20 years since it was CCO).

I saw on that presentation that VPC is supported only to end hosts through single-homed FEXes. I cannot find it anywhere, but is direct VPC supported to end hosts without using FEX? For example, can I attach Fabric Interconnect to two 9396PQs using VPC?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: