Replies

Cisco Secure ACS 3.3(1) -> 4.0(1) upgrade problems

ivarth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I'm having problems upgrading my primary ACS from version 3.3 -> 4.0

I always get the following error message while it's doing the upgrade:

"The CiscoSecure ACS folder appears to be locked by another application: C:\Program Files\CiscoSecure ACS v3.3

Please close any applications...blabla.."

The thing is, I upgraded my backup ACS first and that upgrade worked like a charm.

In both cases, both for the primary and backup I do a remote takeover with Dameware, copied the ACS 4 folder to the hard drive of the server and do the upgrade from that folder.

As I said, the backup server upgrade worked without a hitch.

This is what I've tried:

1. I've verified that NO application is using the ACS 3.3 folder and no explorer window is open on that folder or subfolders.

I verified this by using a small program called Filemon.exe from Sysinternals. According to that program nothing was accessing said folder.

I also verified it again by actually renaming the ACS 3.3 folder after I shut down all the ACS services. I could not rename the folder if the services were started.

2. I've tried to stop the ACS services first and then do the setup, got the same error.

3. I disabled the antivirus software, got the same error.

I'm basically at my wits end now...

I have two options though:

1. Un-install ACS 3.3, do a clean install of ACS 4.0 and import the all data from the backup ACS.

Wouldn't that bring up the primary ACS with the backup ACS config? So I'm guessing I would need to go over it afterwards and do changes where appropriate ?

2. Do a backup of the ACS 3.3 with csutil -b

Uninstall ACS 3.3, do a clean install of ACS 4.0 and import all the data with csutil -r

Would that work? I've seen conflicting information here in this forum, some say it works, other say it doesn't.

I'm pretty much confused why this worked so well on the backup ACS but fails on the primary ACS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ivar Thorolfsson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The folder lock message is often seen if the logs in the ACS directory are too big.

Move the Logs from the following Directories :-

CSAdmin\Logs

CSAuth\Logs

CSDBSync\Logs

CSLog\Logs

CSMon\Logs

CSRadius\Logs

CSTacacs\Logs

Logs

Then try to upgrade.

Regards,

Vivek

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

I've seen this before and Im trying to remember what the workaround was.

I do remember it was with a customer using terminal services.

Have you tried

1) Stopping ACS services from the CPL

2) Setting them to manual start

3) Reboot

4) Upgrade

Darran

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

I don't think I tried exactly that.

I'm going to try it later today and see if it works.

Thanks a lot!

Update:

I shut down the ACS services and put them in manual startup mode.

I rebooted the server and then tried the upgrade but it still failed with the same error message.

It was in the phase of removing the previous installation when I get this error message.

So, no luck yet :(

With best regards,

Ivar Thorolfsson

Hi,

The folder lock message is often seen if the logs in the ACS directory are too big.

Move the Logs from the following Directories :-

CSAdmin\Logs

CSAuth\Logs

CSDBSync\Logs

CSLog\Logs

CSMon\Logs

CSRadius\Logs

CSTacacs\Logs

Logs

Then try to upgrade.

Regards,

Vivek

Excellent!

I moved most of the logs, they were about 3Gb in size. Then the upgrade worked like a charm!

Thanks a lot for the advice! :)

With best regards,

Ivar Thorolfsson

Had same issue with an Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3.3 and deleted all log files.

worked perfectly...

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: