Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSACS-1121 5.2 to 5.4 upgrade help

Hi,

I need to upgrade CSACS-1121 from ACS 5.2 to 5.4 ? I try to find out is it possible or not. But I had no luck. Do you know is it possible or not?

If possible can I do it with the same Application upgrade bundle  for VM ware version?

Thank you

Kind regards

Chamara

6 Replies 6

edwardcollins7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chamara,

Yes upgrade is possible.

yes, you can use the same application upgrade package.

Upgrade is always possible in a count of two:

for eg: you can upgrade:

5.1 --> 5.2 and 5.3

5.2 --> 5.3 and 5.4

5.3 --> 5.4 and 5.5

Rate if Useful :)

Sharing knowledge makes you Immortal.

Regards,

Ed

Thank you for the reply Edward. Much appreciated.  When upgrade is done what will happen to the licenses? Do I have to buy them again or will it be remain as it was?

Also I would like to know if I reimage the VM server to upgrade 5.2 to 5.4 (Since 5.2 is not supporting to install on VM Esxi 5.1)  how can I retrieve the old license for new server? Will that license available after I restore the ACS 5.2s backup?

Thank you

Kind reagrds

Chamara

You are welcome.

f the upgrade is done, the licenses are retained and so is the configuration.

Licenses are not tied to ACS versions.

You will have to restore an old backup as you cannot backup "just the license".

Yes, a 5.2 backup will contain the license.

it should be either a full or a configuration backup and not a view DB backup.

You can also contact Cisco Licensing and they will re host the licenses for you if you re-image the server.

You need the PAK id for that and you can note that down from the ACS GUI licenses section under system administration.

Regards,

Ed

Thank you for nice explanation. It gives me a relief since cisco documentation is not good enough.  I will try this solutions and then will mark the answers correct :)

You are immortal mate :)

one more clarification please.

1. if ACS is connecting with Microsoft AD , Will there be any issue occur when I try to upgrade or reimage?

2. I have 2 ACS (Primary and secondary) . Cisco says upgrade the secondary first. at the mean time it said "To ensure that you preserve the local certificates of the secondary server, you should promote each secondary server to the primary role, and then perform the ACS 5.4 upgrade."

it's conflicting with each statements. what is the correct way I should follow.

Also how can I keep my log collector while the upgrade process? Do I have to keep it on primary until the secondary server upgrade done and after the old secondary has upgraded to 5.4 can I redirect logs to new 5.4 (old 5.2 secondary) ACS server?

3. Cisco said "Register the secondary server to the ACS 5.4 primary server" . But when I upgrade my Secondary first there is no 5.4 primary at my environment. So how can I do this?

Can you direct me.

Thank you

Kind regards

Chamara

I have found answers for question 2 and 3.

First de-register  the secondary server and remove it from the primary. Then both of servers become primary and standalone.

Do upgrade on the old secondary server.

redirect logs from old primary to new 5.4 (old secondary)

after that you can do the upgrade on old primary server.

join old secondary (upgraded to 5.4) as secondary to upgraded primary server.

Hey Mate,

1. if ACS is connecting with Microsoft AD , Will there be any issue occur when I try to upgrade or reimage?

99 percent, no issues occur, the configuration is retained and connection remains.

Keep the ACS-AD join credentials with you just in case and ensure that the AD team has not revoked the ACS-AD account permissions.

Regards,

Ed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: