cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining which NAC Agent to use for ISE

jthullen
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning an upgrade to our ISE environment from 1.1.4 to 1.2. I have downloaded the agent that is recommended for 1.2 (NAC Agent 4.9.4.3) to begin testing with it. Unfortunately the first test I run is using that client against our ISE 1.1.4 servers. It doesn't work! It runs sporadically at best, taking up to 3 minutes to pop up and posture the system. Other times, I give up, after 20 minutes of waiting, and it never runs. This is quite a spot, I do not want to upgrade the ISE system to 1.2, then run into an issue and have to mass upgrade over 2000 clients all at once to get them running. My hope was to upgrade to the NAC Agent prior to the ISE upgrade but unfortunately that has been short circuited.

So my question is, has anyone run ISE 1.2 with NAC Agent 4.9.1.6? That is what we are currently using, as it runs well against both ISE 1.1.4, and NAC 4.9.1 (which is still used for our wired environment). We need to find an agent we can use to bridge us from the time we upgrade ISE to 1.2, and the time we bring our wired environment into the ISE fold and remove NAC appliance. I should note, ironically, that 4.9.4.3 NAC Agent runs flawlessly against the NAC 4.9.1 appliance. The issue is running that NAC Agent against ISE 1.1.4. That is ecactly the opposite of what I would have guessed! Please help!

Jeff

5 Replies 5

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is recommended to use the Cisco NAC/Web Agent versions along with the corresponding Cisco ISE version. use for ISE 1.2 its Nac Agent 4.9.4.3

Yes sir, I am aware of that recommendation, however once I downloaded and started testing several clients with that version, none of them run well, if at all, against 1.1.4 which is the current production version we run in our environment. So I would have to either upgrade all 2000 clients immediately after we upgrade or ISE system to 1.2, or take a chance that our current agent (4.9.1.6) will run against ISE 1.2. I was hoping to find a recommendation of an agent version that runs well against both ISE 1.1.4 and ISE 1.2 so we could upgrade the clients at a controlled rate prior to upgrading ISE to 1.2

The current nac agent in your production environment is expected to work with 1.2 but not you may need test it out on pilot before proceeding.

Okay that is what we will do. I will update this thead post upgrade and advise our results. Upgrade is not slated until later in May.

can you not test with the ISE 1.2VM in a lab?