Views
Helpful
Replies

Filtering 802.1X syslog messages

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I was looking for a method to filter out the following 802.1X syslog messages from a 6509.

It has 240 ports and every port is configured for 802.1X.

There is a potential that an important error message will be hidden by the large number of 802.1X authentication messages.

%AUTHMGR-5-START: Starting 'dot1x' for client (XXXX.XXXX.XXXX) on Interface GiX/Y
%DOT1X-5-SUCCESS: Authentication successful for client (XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX) on Interface GiX/Y
%AUTHMGR-7-RESULT: Authentication result 'success' from 'dot1x' for client (XXXX.XXXX.XXXX) on Interface GiX/Y

%AUTHMGR-5-SUCCESS: Authorization succeeded for client (XXXX.XXXX.XXXX) on Interface GiX/Y
%AUTHMGR-SP-5-VLANASSIGN: VLAN XXX assigned to Interface GiX/Y
%AUTHMGR-SPSTBY-5-VLANASSIGN: VLAN XXX assigned to Interface GiX/Y

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have the same question to this (old) thread.

Is there a posibility on a 3560 or 2960 switch to filter those dot1x syslog messages?

IThe only solution I know is to set the severity level to 4. But that is not really what I want....

Thanks a lot!

Sven

selmeczyr75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sean,

A bit lately and I hope you solved you problem since, but did you try filter the logging, like this :

logging discriminator DOT1X msg-body drops "Authorization succeeded"

logging host A.B.C.D discriminator DOT1X

this will filter out sending messages containing "Authorization succeeded" in the logging message body.

you may fine tune the regular-expression for your needs.

HTH.

Roland

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: