cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I assign ip address based on username ?

wu.rongwei
Level 1
Level 1

I have one ISDN PRI line, and want to assign peer ip address based on authenticated username. On the other hand I mean I have some ip address pools belong to different department. Everyone who dial in the company may obtain the ip from his department pool.

Thank you very much.

5 Replies 5

vijkrish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you are trying to do is possible.

1. for static ip per username - Under User setup, IP Assignment, select static address and type in the address. for more info. pl. see:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacs4nt/acs31/acsuser/u.htm#94129

2. For using IP pools, pls use the server pools feature of ACS. You define the pools and then tell ACS to use the pools for those users. Pls. see:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacs4nt/acs31/acsuser/s.htm#602087

for more info.

hope this helps.

Thank you for your response.

I have some related questions. Can I use radius server ( eg. MS IAS) to do that? And if I use acs to assign ip address, what command can I use to intead of "peer default ip address pool LOCAL_POOL".

You can use any radius server to assign ip address to the user. You just need to know how to configure in the user profile on radius server.

Now if you want radius server to allocate ip address which is defined in the radius server under user/group profile, you don't need to have that "peer default pool...."command in access server.

Just need to have aaa authorization via radius server using following command

aaa authorization network default group raadius

Is it possible to assign a static IP for a user if they are logging into one AAA client, but use no IP address assignment for all others?

For PPP link you need to assign the ip address to the dialin users or have user comeup with the static ip address. IP address has to be negotiated over ppp link for both the peers.