cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I allow a user to change which VLAN a port is on

hallh
Level 1
Level 1

I ma part of a corportate network managed by a network management group. I have a number of VLANS that I use for a nubmer of machines, all of which are currently connected to two 6509 switches.

I will often need to be able to have a port that a machine I own switched from one of my VLANS to another. Currently to do this I have to submit paperwork and have one of the network people log onto the switch and make the change.

I would like to access the switch and do this myself, but the network people obviolsy don't want me making changes that would affect other people.

I need to convince them that they can limit my access to my switch, and on this switch I can only change VLANS between the VLANS that I own. (those are the only VANS that need to be "enabled" for that switch.

How can this be enabled?

P.S. seeing additonal information is not a problem.

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Routers have privilege levels based on which only certain commands are allowed for users with a certain level. However I am aware of any such thing in the switch. You will have access to all the commands and configuration once you enter the enable mode.

narendra.y
Level 1
Level 1

u will have to create a privilege level 7 user and thru privilege command assign certain required exec and interface command to that level ie 7 for eg

thru these commands the user will be able to run only these commands even in config mode

username user privilege 7 password user

privilege interface level 7 switchport access vlan

privilege interface level 7 shutdown

privilege configure level 7 interface

privilege exec level 7 conf t

regards

narendra y

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: