Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How do I allow a user to change which VLAN a port is on

I ma part of a corportate network managed by a network management group. I have a number of VLANS that I use for a nubmer of machines, all of which are currently connected to two 6509 switches.

I will often need to be able to have a port that a machine I own switched from one of my VLANS to another. Currently to do this I have to submit paperwork and have one of the network people log onto the switch and make the change.

I would like to access the switch and do this myself, but the network people obviolsy don't want me making changes that would affect other people.

I need to convince them that they can limit my access to my switch, and on this switch I can only change VLANS between the VLANS that I own. (those are the only VANS that need to be "enabled" for that switch.

How can this be enabled?

P.S. seeing additonal information is not a problem.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: How do I allow a user to change which VLAN a port is on

Routers have privilege levels based on which only certain commands are allowed for users with a certain level. However I am aware of any such thing in the switch. You will have access to all the commands and configuration once you enter the enable mode.

Re: How do I allow a user to change which VLAN a port is on

u will have to create a privilege level 7 user and thru privilege command assign certain required exec and interface command to that level ie 7 for eg

thru these commands the user will be able to run only these commands even in config mode

username user privilege 7 password user

privilege interface level 7 switchport access vlan

privilege interface level 7 shutdown

privilege configure level 7 interface

privilege exec level 7 conf t

regards

narendra y

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content