Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.3 OVA Deployment Error - ATTRIBUTE_REQUIRED

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

I'm trying to deploy the latest ISE image 2.3.x on ESXI 6.5 VMware tools 13 and experience the attached error after importing the OVA and selecting a cluster to install on. My only thoughts on why this might be occuring is ISE says it is compatible with ESXi 6.x and VMware tools 11. 

Has anyone else encountered this error and has any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I think this is well known and documented in the ISE 2.3 Installation Guide section here

I don't have ESX 6.5 but the Cisco docs state that you need to convert the OVA to OVF and then all should be fine.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I think this is well known and documented in the ISE 2.3 Installation Guide section here

I don't have ESX 6.5 but the Cisco docs state that you need to convert the OVA to OVF and then all should be fine.

Thanks, Arne.

Completely missed that conversion bit, I guess as they provide OVAs I had foolishly assumed that's what they intended you to deploy with!

Thanks,

Ric

Hi Ric,
Did you solve your problem by using the OVF Tool?
I also tried to deploy the same appliance using OVF Tool but I still have error messages.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hey,

I wrote a blog post to cover it off.

https://ripplesinharmony.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/installing-ise-2-3-on-esxi-6-x/

Ultimately I had to convert from OVA to VMX and then to OVF which made no sense but worked.

Cheers,

Ric

cool - that's quite a blog post! Maybe Cisco will make life easier for us in future.

Ric - Thank you for the blog!  We had the same issue, followed your steps, and it worked perfectly.

In following the steps listed in the blog post, I was unable to convert the recently converted vmx file to an ovf.  I got the error message below

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool>ovftool.exe C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.vmx C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.ovf
Opening VMX source: C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.vmx
Opening OVF target: C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.ovf
Writing OVF package: C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.ovf
Transfer Failed
Error: Output file C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200-disk1.vmdk already exists. Use overwrite flag to delete it.
Completed with errors

I just had the same issue with failure to convert and figured I would share what worked for me. It appears you have to point the ovf directory to a different folder (such as a folder called ovf). In your example it would be something like this:

ovftool.exe C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.vmx C:\Users\jmark_su\Desktop\ovf\ISE-2.3.0.298-virtual-SNS3515-200.ovf

When I did this, it no longer errored for me. Hope this helps.

Hi, this worked for me, but I had to run CMD in administrator mode.