Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE base vs advanced license

janvandek
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

Initial I was looking to use VMPS (dynamic VLAN assignment to ports based on MAC).But after some reading I understand 802.1X with Radius is a better solution, and finally I came to ISE.  My question: Is the BASE license for ISE sufficient to use the dynamic VLAN assignment (I.e. After authentication and authorization, a port will be set to a VLAN) or do I need to install the ADVANCED license ?

Regards

Jan

7 Replies 7

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Short : No, base is enough.

Long : Base license for the number of simultaneous device needing to authenticate with ISE, will enable support for 802.1x and mac authentication (mab) for wired/wireless with Cisco switches and controllers, and also has the Guest Portal services. However 802.1x is as you might have found, somewhat more complex to setup, than basic mac authentication, so just be careful and plan you roll-out carefully.

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

for 802.1X authentication and dynamic Vlan based authorization Base License is sufficient, No need to buy the advance License.

muhammk2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In this scenario, you will be able to fulfill your requirement through base license.

jwmolenaar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jan,

You may use the BASE license for this.

BTW, it looks like you are from The Netherlands like me. Only Cisco certified ISE ATP partners are entitled to sell the base and adavanced license. If your current partner is not a Cisco ISE ATP partner, we from AXIANS are and are willing to help you.

Best Regards,

Jan-Willem Molenaar
Technical Consultant
AXIANS
+31302485200

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Advance License is used for Profiling and Posturing. 80.2.1x doesn’t need advance license. Base license is sufficient for the same. Please see the attached PDF for more information.

I'm pretty sure I have both Profiling and Posturing disabled, yet I get this alert 2-3 times a day.

I purchased a 100 endpoint Advanced license to play with, but I do not believe I need to use it as we're just doing 802.1X.

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Base License is consumed whenever an authentication notification is  received by Cisco ISE. A single Advanced License is consumed when any  one or more of the following services or conditions are applied to the  endpoint session:

Posture

Security Group Tag assignment

Authorization using profile information

Endpoint is registered in the MyDevices Portal