Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE installation problem

Kashish_Patel
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Security Experts,

We got two new ISE 3315 boxes for our datacenter today.

When I went on to do installation for them, I am facing weird problem. I see weird characters/misspelled words. I have tried rebooting the box with no help and the issue persisted after reboot as well. I also tried to boot them from DVD and even the BIOS boot options are all weird. Problem I am facing is that I type some character and it appears as a totally different character on terminal Has anybody seen similar issue? If so, what is the workaround? I have configured Cisco recommended console settings for ISE.

Please!type 'seuup'(to configure thm appmiance

localhost login:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
21 Replies 21

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Kashish,

Can you try with keyboard monitor? Also are you using putty or hyperterminal for you console connection?

thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

We don't have a keyboard monitor setup in the datacenter. I have tried both putty and hyperterm.

edondurguti
Level 4
Level 4

what kind of serial cable are you using? is this RJ45 to DB9?

I had the similiar problem and I needed to use DB9----DB9 on both ends, then I had db9-usb to connect to my laptop since I didn't have a db9 serial port on my laptop.

Hope it helps

Yes I am using a DB9-to-RJ45 cable.

I will check if we have a DB9-to-usb cable because no db9 port on my laptop as well.

Thanks for the tip.

Also try changing the com port on your workstation just for grins.

Kashish_Patel
Level 2
Level 2

I tried with keyboard monitor, that worked!

Installation of one of the box was successful, however for the other box, I am seeing issue.

While doing initial installation, I see Ping to gateway failed and subsequently "ntp sync issue".

On the switch, I see interface connected to ISE as up and mac address of box is also learnt, however, installation always shows the above problem.

I tried booting it from dvd. I press F12 and I see first option as "DVD/CD". I select that, but it goes to "setup" again and I again see "Ping to gateway failed" and "ntp sync". I am using keyboard, monitor. How to boot from dvd?

That means it's unable to contact the gateway you specified (if you specified) when you set it up, ntp sync meaning it cannot sync with the ntp you provided.

if you can login with your username or anything, type, show running-config and see what is the ip and default-gateway, make sure it's connected and reachable.

ps.

if you are doing this in HA deployment then you need to set the same passwords on both appliances so their databases can sync.

Also you might want to check the interface status, there was a point where a few 3315 were shipped where the interfaces were swapped. If you had the expansion NIC cards the gig0 was not on the same port as it was on the other ise appliances. The workaround for this was to reimage the box and reconfigure.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

thnx for your input so far, I highly doubt it's a physical issue, since the iphones are being profiled based on their dhcp request, i've even set the dhcp class identifier on my pc to "test" and set a profile attribute with certanity of 100 still nothing... will dig in tomorrow... i have two hours of sleep

Hi Tarik,

I can log in to the box but it just doesn't ping the gateway. Other ISE box has also the same default gateway set and that is working fine. On the switch where it is connected, I can see the mac address is learnt, but no arp entry. I have checked config of both ISE boxes and they are same. Switchport config is also same. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Kashish

Kashish,

If you issue the show interface gig 0 from the cli of ISE do you see the ip address? If not, then work your way to show interface gig 1...etc I think you might be running into the issue where nic cards may have been swapped when the machine was imaged from the factory.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Yes I see IP under "show run" for interface gig0. All the other interfaces (gig1,2 and 3) are shutdown. I see the link lights on ISE gig0 interface...

I am confused about "I think you might be running into the issue where nic cards may have been swapped when the machine was imaged from the factory." Could you please give me more details about this problem?

Disregard my initial assumptions, the ip address would have been assigned to a different interface instead....however can you please post the results of show ip route and show interface gig 0?

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

isehyd1/admin# sh ip route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

10.240.161.48   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.240 U     0      0        0 eth0

0.0.0.0         10.240.161.49   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

isehyd1/admin# sh int gigabitEthernet 0

GigabitEthernet 0

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 5C:F3:FC:25:CF:EA

inet addr:10.240.161.55  Bcast:10.240.161.63  Mask:255.255.255.240

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Interrupt:169 Memory:e8100000-e8110000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: