Cisco Support Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

ISE integration with SMS gateway required license

Hello All,

We have cisco WLC with guest wireless access configured to use local database. the managment requires new solution to send cridintials to user throug SMS after the user signup through portal.

we decided to use the cisco ISE. my question is what is the required license to integrate ISE with WLC and SMS gateway. should we use the Basic license, advanced or the wireless license.




Everyone's tags (1)
Cisco Employee

Amr, This depends on the



This depends on the traffic you will be authenticating through the ISE.  If wireless only, then yes, the Wireless (Now called Mobility) License will suit your needs.

If a mixed environment with Wired AND Wireless clients, then you would need Base and Plus Licenses at a minimum.  Apex (Advanced) licenses are only needed if you plan to posture the wired clients.

Having said that, you also need ISE 1.3 for the SMS notification to work properly.


Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Community Member

Hi Charles, why do you say

Hi Charles,


why do you say "you would need Base and Plus Licenses at a minimum"? 

Looking at the ISE licensing guide (table 2):

it seems that Guest Portal services are already included in Base License (and all the AAA stuff too),

therefore enough for the "Wireless Guest Access with SMS authentication" needed by Amr.

Finally, the advantage of 'Base' license is that is Perpetual annual fee to pay ;-)




Cisco Employee

Only because in my head, I

Only because in my head, I was thinking BYOD.  In this case, he is clearly talking about Guest Access.  Of course, Gio is correct in stating that Guest Access is covered in the Base License.


Sorry for the added confusion.

CreatePlease to create content